PDA

View Full Version : Accessory Belt Keeps Getting Thrown Off

Pages : [1] 2

DSM97RS
04-22-2004, 07:33 PM
i have had my power steering/ac belt come off a few times and didnt know what was wrong, finally i brought it into a shop and was told that i needed a new idler. Is this what i need? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WD1V (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2447717402&category=33625&sspagename=WD1V)

if not, what do i need to make sure these belts dont keep getting thrown off?

jd1828
04-22-2004, 07:50 PM
no, you car only uses an idler for the timing belt. your should check your crank pulley to make sure it not comming apart.

DSM97RS
04-22-2004, 08:52 PM
thats why i asked here cause i was confused on why they told me i needed an idler when my accessory belt came off. ive already replaced the tensioner and the tension is fine, what else could cause it?

unreal808
04-22-2004, 09:52 PM
check your harmonic balancer /crank pully. the thing will fall apart and buck belts

Jacek
04-22-2004, 09:54 PM
whats the overall condition of the grooves for the pulleys? any dents in them?

DSM97RS
04-23-2004, 12:19 AM
ill check the pulleys tomorrow, im pretty sure they are in good shape still tho. What should i be looking for on the crank to tell if thats the problem? thx for the help guys, i dont feel like spending 350 for them to "fix" the problem

JasonR
04-23-2004, 01:14 AM
serpentine belt or ribbed v for power steering. check it. Take a flash light and check crankcase pulley or also known as harmonic balancer which also holds accessory belts. Probably the tension needs to be adjusted so it is tight enough. loosen adjusting bolt. Once desired tension is met, tighten adjusting bolt and check again. Need correct tools. There are a few people or shops who I would let touch my car if I had too after I have owned and been involved with owning a fast eclipse. Why I do all work. I cannot believe they said replace idler. There is tensioner pulley and idle pulley which timing belt goes around. They must be on LCD OR SMOKIN POT.

DSM97RS
04-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by JasonR@Apr 23 2004, 12:14 AM
serpentine belt or ribbed v for power steering. check it. Take a flash light and check crankcase pulley or also known as harmonic balancer which also holds accessory belts. Probably the tension needs to be adjusted so it is tight enough. loosen adjusting bolt. Once desired tension is met, tighten adjusting bolt and check again. Need correct tools. There are a few people or shops who I would let touch my car if I had too after I have owned and been involved with owning a fast eclipse. Why I do all work. I cannot believe they said replace idler. There is tensioner pulley and idle pulley which timing belt goes around. They must be on LCD OR SMOKIN POT.
i know i need to check the crank pulley, lol, i was asking what i was looking for on it to tell if i need to fix it... and i think you mean LSD

JasonR
04-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Sorry about the lsd thing. Its just the fact that the shop has no idea whats going on. I have a harmonic balancer with bad corners. They were chiped and the groves were rusted badely. This caused a twist in the belt for power steering. It never came off, but that is because I replaced it immediately. So if you see chip markes, bad rust or a warped or bent pulley with bad corners, MAY BE THE DIRECT CAUSE.

DSM97RS
04-23-2004, 05:11 PM
well if this is what they mean by "idler" would i just be better off buying an underdrive pulley? also what part number should i look for when i go to get a belt, anyone?