PDA

View Full Version : Battery location?

Pages : [1] 2 3

GsXtUrBo98
05-10-2010, 08:50 PM
So my yellow top optima took a shit on me with in the last couple days....... I am debating on either putting a small battery kit in the engine bay or maybe doing a relocation to the trunk with a box and cut off switch.

I'm not too fond of having to cut a hole in the back of my car but would love the free space in the engine bay. I know that alot of evo guys do the small battery kit so anyone can jump in and give some info on the subject.

I know that brad put his battery in the back with a box and am talking to him about the matter aswell. The kit from JMF is about $300 dollars but is a direct bolt on and they show pictures of it in the car on there site.

Any input would be great as to I'm still torn between the 2.

This is the link http://www.jmfabrications.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=12&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58

viridionplague
05-10-2010, 08:54 PM
from my understanding its better to just leave the battery in the engine bay, no real reason to move it to the back.

better to go with a small battery kit

also the battery kit comes with the battery

GsXtUrBo98
05-10-2010, 08:58 PM
from my understanding its better to just leave the battery in the engine bay, no real reason to move it to the back.

better to go with a small battery kit

also the battery kit comes with the battery

Ya I was thinking that aswell but it would save me SO much room in the engine bay for extra goodies.:D

mitsukid124
05-10-2010, 08:59 PM
i've never had one, but i would personally like the relocation to the trunk. you get engine bay space, makeing it look cleaner. you'd have a dry open area if you need acess to it. and the cutoff switch wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

but if you do, mount the switch somewhere where the passsenger can't get at it. i've heard of ppl flippin to mess with the driver at a stop light.

viridionplague
05-10-2010, 09:00 PM
the small battery kit mounts very low in the engine bay, and is very small. i dont think relocating it to the rear saves a whole lot more space overall vs the small battery kit

GsXtUrBo98
05-10-2010, 09:04 PM
the small battery kit mounts very low in the engine bay, and is very small. i dont think relocating it to the rear saves a whole lot more space overall vs the small battery kit

I was mostly thinking about putting a oil catch can breather in that location just like swifty and brandon " redline ".. If you ever saw there cars you would know that it takes up that whole corner but its not needed at this time of my build. But I'm thinking in the future.

viridionplague
05-10-2010, 09:08 PM
yea i had to look at it again in the picture, its a little different in the 1g cars and it sits differently too.

id still go with a small battery kit vs a full relocation with the dsms though.

if it was a RWD vehicle i would say do a relocation, but these cars dont benefit much, other than space savings

GsXtUrBo98
05-10-2010, 09:17 PM
yea i had to look at it again in the picture, its a little different in the 1g cars and it sits differently too.

id still go with a small battery kit vs a full relocation with the dsms though.

if it was a RWD vehicle i would say do a relocation, but these cars dont benefit much, other than space savings

Space saving is the whole point. But like I said I'm not sure that I would want to do the whole relocation thing either. $300 is kind of a lot for a battery and some metal but if I was going to do it now would be the time.

viridionplague
05-10-2010, 09:21 PM
the other big things vs space i see, is the battery alone is 140 bucks, and offers some good cranking power. the other thing is, it weighs alot less then a standard size battery.

if its space you want, relocate by all means. if you can live with a little less space go with the small kit. or run a smaller catchcan

Swifty1638
05-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Smaller catch can can cause issues down the road.. I personally like the rear mount setup..