PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Gsx Didn't Start Sunday

DoughtCom
04-20-2004, 11:43 AM
I've noticed about 5 times since I've had the car (for about a month) when I don't let it cool off (which I usually do for about 3 minutes just idling) that when I start the car (usually has to be about half an hour later) it idles fairly rough. I then give it gas to about 2-3k for a second and then it runs fine. That never really bothered me too much, since it hasn't had any other problems then that.

Well on Sunday I didn't let it cool off at all, I was in a hurry for once, and came back outside to start the car... and it would turn over, run REALLY rough and then die. Even if I tried giving it gas, this happened about 7 times, the 8th time it finally turned over and ran fine.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm assuming a fuel problem or something, btw the car has 40,000 (just hit 40k yesterday) so it's still like new.

Jana
04-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Boy, haven't heard this one in a LONG time.

It's the wonderful Hot Start, or whatever the technical term it.

I've had it happen, along with many other dsm owners. If the car is too hot, it won't start sometimes (not always!). Nothing you can do but give the car time to cool down (not necessarily idle cool down).

DoughtCom
04-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Sorry I should have searched first, thanks for the info though! Was getting worried there, heh.

A//// Guy
04-20-2004, 12:49 PM
"Hot start" is ussually asociated with hot weather... when the engine wont start becuase gas in the system has evaporated. Happens in most engines... especially boats.

I had this happen before my fuel pump went out and I had to swap back the stocker in. I had a 190 in it but it seems to work so I dont now what that deal is about.

JasonR
04-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Happened to me before too. I believe it has to do with the fuel. If the flow is not linear or constant then it causes mis-match of fuel and air when starting. I may be wrong.

Jacek
04-20-2004, 06:09 PM
I have this problem and have grown accustom to it. What I do is just before the car comes to idle just give the gas a very small tap so that it will stabilize the drop in rpm and idle around 500 from it. Not a fix but it works for me to keep the car from dying. my guess is that its to do with the fuel pressure. I had a problem with the little plastic piece that the fpr vacuum line runs to (warm up regulator or whatever the hell it is) was stuck so I just always thought the car was flooding itself since it would have a misfire.