PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm doing it wrong...

CarPsyco84
03-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Scm61 carnage. Turbo had 2k miles on it, and I had a restrictor and oil pressue gauge installed. What I don't get is why the thrust plate is worn on the turbine wheel side, not the typical wear from the compressor wheel side. Could this be caused from too much boost making too much backpressure in the turbine housing? I thought these huge ass compressors on the T3 housings pushed too hard on the thrust plate... not the otherway around...

95talonracer
03-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Who's was it previously or who rebuilt it in the past?

CarPsyco84
03-29-2010, 09:26 PM
It was the scm61 that was on 4seasons69's car when I bought it, but I took it apart and bought a rebuild kit for it, so It had all new parts on it... I will measure the turbine wheel tomorrow but unless its the wrong turbine wheel or something I don't see how that could have happened. If you have ever taken apart a garrett turbo, you know that they are not very complicated.

craig
03-29-2010, 09:47 PM
was it rebalanced when you rebuilt it?

4g63tcrazy
03-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Most compressor wheels/shaft come individually balanced. So no actual balancing after installation is required.

CarPsyco84
03-29-2010, 10:21 PM
yeah, I guess thats how they go, I looked up pics on tuners of blackrosenova400's 61 and It was identical to this, the journals and shaft look excellent, If this is how they normally go bad, that doesn't surprise me then, cause this thing saw 30+ psi, and I like to use it on a regular basis. If I can find a compressor wheel on the cheap, I might try a 360 degree thrust bearing, found just the thrust bearing setup on ebay for 45 shipped, and its Kamak brand parts too.