PDA

View Full Version : best break in method

Pages : [1] 2

way2fastalon
03-23-2010, 09:35 PM
yeah i have been lookin around about break in methods and i was questioning this one ..

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

correct me if im wrong but isnt that for bikes or small engines

i have a new engine and want to break it in right i only got about 30-40 miles on it ran it with out boost untill today hooked up the waste gate and ran it up and down my block. boost is at 5-10 psi

Tachyon
03-23-2010, 10:05 PM
I just broke in a new engine last weekend. I already had a tune for the setup so I could get on it without worrying about running lean.

I first let the car warm up to operating temperature, then I did repeated full-load, full-throttle 3rd gear accelerations followed by engine breaking in the same gear (18 psi). I did this for 20 minutes and then brought the car back for systems check. I've since then put about 300 miles on the engine and it feels very very crisp. I need to do a compression check, but will probably put another 500 miles on it before doing so.

I like to give the engine lots of load in the initial 20 miles or so. After that, just normal driving (which is quite heavy (weekend toy))

GL with your engine.

93gtpeater
03-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Take it to the track bounce it off the limiter and give it hell and hope for the best. Lol. Drive it nice and easy that should work. I have rebuilt a bunch of sleds and after a full tank of gas its good to go.

way2fastalon
03-23-2010, 10:37 PM
forgot to say that it has spent some time idling trying to dial in the afr i think i might have got it down to a reasonble 12 -13.5 with 850s then with the 450s that it had ran super lean no matter what :angryfire: but i think its good now
oil pressure is at 14-25 its at 14 at 750rpm and 25 at 1100 i think ill set it at 1100 id rather have 25psi than 14

dsmlink is nice but it would be better if i had a better idea what im doing

under boost my afrs were 10.0 10.1 to 5500 then let off in third
timing was at 30 deg i only got like one 3rd gear pull in then parked it
still breaks up at top end i dont know if to pull fuel or add i pull it gets a little better i add fuel it runs like shit i haven't touched the timing part of dsm link the only thing i touched was the fuel settings for the 850cc injectors

i would like some one to come over and give advice or drive being this is my first build and spent thousands on my engine maybe drive it / tune it have 93 bp in and a few $$ to spare to get a base tune so its drivable

goodhart
03-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I would say very little boost if any, under ~5psi. Do a lot of vacuum pulls (ex. bring it through the gears being nice and easy on it, then let off the gas and let the motor slow the car down, downshifting along the way to pull the motor into vacuum.) I hear this seats the rings good, I have seen it work for others, and it has worked well for me also. The first miles are the most crucial, probably 0-20 or so are the most important for seating the rings. Also, let it go through a few heat cycles along this process. Don't go the whole 20 miles in one shot. Come back and let the engine cool down for an hour or so, then take it out again. Also try to drive at varying speeds, don't just get on the highway and set the cruise. DO all of this and you should have a happy and healthy motor. :D

goodhart
03-23-2010, 10:49 PM
forgot to say that it has spent some time idling trying to dial in the afr i think i might have got it down to a reasonble 12 -13.5 with 850s then with the 450s that it had ran super lean no matter what :angryfire: but i think its good now
oil pressure is at 14-25 its at 14 at 750rpm and 25 at 1100 i think ill set it at 1100 id rather have 25psi than 14

dsmlink is nice but it would be better if i had a better idea what im doing

under boost my afrs were 10.0 10.1 to 5500 then let off in third
timing was at 30 deg i only got like one 3rd gear pull in then parked it
still breaks up at top end i dont know if to pull fuel or add i pull it gets a little better i add fuel it runs like shit i haven't touched the timing part of dsm link the only thing i touched was the fuel settings for the 850cc injectors

i would like some one to come over and give advice or drive being this is my first build and spent thousands on my engine maybe drive it / tune it have 93 bp in and a few $$ to spare to get a base tune so its drivable

I also suggest not trying to tune it while breaking it in. Just break it in on a conservative tune and bring it to Shane and let him work his magic.

Shane@DBPerformance
03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
To do a hard break-in, you need an all-motor setup or a conservative already done tune on a turbo car. Since, most guys doing a motor build on a turbo car, don't already have a tune for their new setup, that poses a problem. The last thing you want is any knock at all on brand new rings and you also don't want to be too rich. 0 psi is as much boost as those motorcycles would see during a hard breakin, so you don't have to exactly go ape shit with the boost.

If I am doing a break-in on the dyno, I try to very very quickly get my A/Fs in check and then either do a lot of vaccum pulls or go into the motorcycle style breakin, depending on what the customer wants to do. For cars that we did the motor on, I like to change the oil many times, do a lot hard vacuum pulls for a while, do some building up toward more aggressive pulls with very limited boost and limited RPMs with a lot of cooling breaks and then have the customer put some miles on the setup(if possible, not always possible on a race car) and then do the final tune later.

FattyBoomBatty
03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
I did the motoman style break in this time but was working to get my AFR's richer as I did so it didn't get much more than 5 psi for the break in, but I did to a bunch of vacuum deceleration "pulls." Brought it back solved an oil leak and went back out for some adjustments and did more of the same. I agree with the motoman stuff about all the really important stuff happening right away, so I warmed it up and took it out and hoped for the best. It all worked, so I'm pretty happy, and it feels great for 8 psi.

btw, the last time I did it, I got a small part of the fuel map good enough to limp to DB and threw it on the dyno with maybe less than 20 miles on it.

What I want to know is about clutch break ins. Is it kind of like engines where they recommend 500 miles, but really it's only a few engagements?

way2fastalon
03-23-2010, 11:59 PM
To do a hard break-in, you need an all-motor setup or a conservative already done tune on a turbo car. Since, most guys doing a motor build on a turbo car, don't already have a tune for their new setup, that poses a problem. The last thing you want is any knock at all on brand new rings and you also don't want to be too rich. 0 psi is as much boost as those motorcycles would see during a hard breakin, so you don't have to exactly go ape shit with the boost.

If I am doing a break-in on the dyno, I try to very very quickly get my A/Fs in check and then either do a lot of vaccum pulls or go into the motorcycle style breakin, depending on what the customer wants to do. For cars that we did the motor on, I like to change the oil many times, do a lot hard vacuum pulls for a while, do some building up toward more aggressive pulls with very limited boost and limited RPMs with a lot of cooling breaks and then have the customer put some miles on the setup(if possible, not always possible on a race car) and then do the final tune later.
good to know i was doing it right the first time had no boost all day and was bringing it up to 4000-5500 and letting the engine slow me down 2-4th gear ill pull the waste gate off again and do it the moto way cause i was doing that on the way to school and back with out boost im changing the oil again tomorrow 20w50 is what i have been using i did do the heat cycles i wasnt sure if it was ok to run with waste gate off but ill run it again tomorrow now do i bring it up to redline and slow down at what point do i do that .. ?

Goat Blower
03-24-2010, 12:20 AM
I always just had a basic tune set up already, fire it up, check for leaks for about five minutes, then go out and drive it pretty easy getting up to about 60 mph and then let off the gas and do the vacuum pulls for a good part of the first 20 miles. Then I change the oil, drive it nicely with some normal boost pulls rough tuning it, change the oil at 100 miles, then bring it to Shane for a full tune.

Just got done buttoning up the bottom end on my new 2.0 shortblock, I'll be getting ready for breaking in a new engine again here soon. Spring has sprung.