PDA

View Full Version : Tool to disconnect ball joints?

Pages : [1] 2

s1ngletracker
03-17-2010, 01:09 AM
I have a tool that is sortof the right design, but its a bit too 'thick' to fit in between the axle and ball joint, if that makes sense.

Does anyone have the right tool? Perhaps the actual mitsubishi one? Or some other trick on how to free these things? The last time I had to do this, I actually took the LCA and knuckle off the car, and cut the joint, and then pounded it out. Then I obviously had to replace it. That was a pain, I really don't want to have to do that again.

This is on a different car, another couple ball joints that probably haven't been disconnected in a long time, if ever.

Any help is appreciated!

4g63tcrazy
03-17-2010, 01:10 AM
You could rent the tool at autozone. Maybe they have a different size one.

twack
03-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Big hammer has always worked after a little pb soak.

Gravy
03-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Just got done doing mine, BFH and good aim helps.

s1ngletracker
03-17-2010, 01:24 AM
um, I really don't see how you could hit the ball joint stud on the DSM with a hammer. Its physicall impossible. Do you hit the side of the knuckle or something? I suppose I could try that along with torch/pb blaster

s1ngletracker
03-17-2010, 01:25 AM
You could rent the tool at autozone. Maybe they have a different size one.

doubtful. I'm guessing only the mitsu OEM one will work perfectly. There is just such little clearance.

blackrosenova400
03-17-2010, 02:31 AM
The right tool is called a pickle fork.

santa
03-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Do you have a 1g or 2g?

way2fastalon
03-17-2010, 04:15 AM
if your trying to get a ball joint loose 2 ways i use with out a pickle fork

1. is using long pry bar and a chain rap the chain around the lcr secure it so there's a small loop and stick the bar in the loop and stand on/ jump on it car must be on jack stands and a good height in the air be sure to give a few taps on the sides of the balljoint before you start jumping

2. is turn the wheel to the right and lock the wheel there and jack up on the rotar put a block between the 2 make sure its not touching the control arm the rotar only have a few lugs tight on the rotar and start jacking up slowly to load the spring jack up enough to where the car starts to come off the stand let it down about 1/4 way from that point and start hammering on the lcr onthe side of ball joint hard then start hitting on the arm again and it should pop if it dont get a propane touch and heat it a lil bit and keep going it will pop

i have done this numerous times with stubborn balljoint's yeah it might not be the right way but it dose infact work i have worked at a few shops that have done these methods if you would like help ill come and help you

s1ngletracker
03-17-2010, 08:20 AM
1g, sorry