PDA

View Full Version : Dowel pin

Pages : [1] 2

b00sted_spyder
03-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm having troubles with bolting the transmission onto the block. Are there suppose to be dowel pins on the transmission?

turbotalon1g
03-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Yes, I believe they are on the front and back side of the motor/trans.
Be careful they can come out of the transmission so just lightly tap them with a mallet.

Goat Blower
03-14-2010, 09:22 PM
They are very important, good thing you noticed they were missing, not everybody catches that and it causes problems.

b00sted_spyder
03-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Are there a total of 4 dowel pin when mounting the transmission to the engine(2 on each)? I had a problem mating them together because they are touching eachother and are located on the same mounting hole.

iceminion
03-14-2010, 11:17 PM
there are two dowel pins, however I could see if you are connecting a transmission from a different cars, the pins could be still in the transmission, and also in your block.

remove the two worst ones, and install the transmission

Chim55117
03-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Are there a total of 4 dowel pin when mounting the transmission to the engine(2 on each)? I had a problem mating them together because they are touching eachother and are located on the same mounting hole.

Also make sure you have the correct starter plate.

b00sted_spyder
03-14-2010, 11:22 PM
there are two dowel pins, however I could see if you are connecting a transmission from a different cars, the pins could be still in the transmission, and also in your block.

remove the two worst ones, and install the transmission

Yes, that is exactly what I'm dealing with. Here's my problem, I removed 1 of the dowel pin on the transmission fine and the other one is stubborn. It won't budge at all. Seems like it's meant to stay there. Anyone have any tricks on removing these little stubborn bastards?

b00sted_spyder
03-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Also make sure you have the correct starter plate.

I do have the correct starter plate and it is brand new.

iceminion
03-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Yes, that is exactly what I'm dealing with. Here's my problem, I removed 1 of the dowel pin on the transmission fine and the other one is stubborn. It won't budge at all. Seems like it's meant to stay there. Anyone have any tricks on removing these little stubborn bastards?

Well, heres the thing, there is no "right" side to have them on, so I would assume if ONE of the pins is being a bitch, remove the other one.

its ok to have one dowel pin in the engine and one in the transmission, its not that big of a deal

however if you REALLY want to remove it, bring it over to my house and I will remove it for $10

I live in saint paul

iceminion
03-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Oh, and its not "meant to stay there" trust me. You can remove it, no biggie.