PDA

View Full Version : White 95 GSX w/97 conversion.

iceminion
02-27-2010, 05:03 AM
So, I was going to sell my car (because I am broke) and then the turbo died (sounded like a supercharger).

So, until everything is back together, my car really isn't "for sale"

Well, first things first, here is the manifold on the car.

#1 shouldn't be that hard to take care of, however #2 is hidden from view and is completely gone.

Well, in order to remove stud #1 I had to weld a nut onto what is left of the stud, I had tried the multi-nut-on-stud trick, and it just didnt budge.

Now the advantage of superheating the stud is it expands and "breaks free" making it easier to twist out.

Thankfully, the #2 stud that I was trying to remove was just GONE, it had vanished, and it took the threads too

So, I drilled her out to 21/64ths

Get the helicoil kit out

carefully tap the hole

Hand-thread the insert in to make sure it doesn't cross-thread.

rachet the helicoil insert until it is past flush with the head.

Done

OK, now that both studs are removed/repaired, I had to make a decision on the rest of the studs....they are all rusty and I cannot get any of them to move, I really don't want to sell this car to someone just to have another stud break on them down the road, so I think replacing ALL of the studs is a good idea.

So, since the studs will not back out using the normal 2x nut trick, I break out the welder and some americanized M8x1.25 nuts (the 13mm wrench type)

Since I don't ever want to use a 13mm wrench on any DSM's I own/work on, I will sacrifice these nuts to the better cause.

As you can see, the nut is glowing cherry red, I can hear the metal change shape as it cools.

So, Julian rebuilt my Evo3 turbo, and I took some time to clean it up, look how nice it looks!

Look at my 2G manifold!

So, lets look at the old, broken, NON-ported stock manifold next to the new one I just got! The port job matches up with the ported turbo perfectly!

Ok, so when I got the car, the stereo kinda worked, the volume was very intermittant.

I don't have the pictures of what it looks like inside the factory head unit, but basically I took it all apart, de-soldered the volume thingie from the logic board, cleaned the contacts, re-soldered, and now the volume works perfectly!

scheides
02-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Haha this should be called 'fixing broken manifold studs 101' good work.

carefully tap the hole

Careful + electric drill really don't mix! How about using a t-handle next time? :D

So, Julian rebuilt my Evo3 turbo, and I took some time to clean it up, look how nice it looks!

Not to burst your bubble, but according to the compressor cover, that is 'just' a big16g, not an evo3. You guys gotta learn to check these things, that's what the stamps are for!

Constant_Project21
02-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Not to burst your bubble..

Not to burst your bubble, but fixt lol.

But yea, nice little "how to" haha. I saw this car a while back when mike at primo owned it, was pretty nice.

Edit: Scheides edited his, so now I look like a jackass LOL

iceminion
02-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Not to burst your bubble, but according to the compressor cover, that is 'just' a big16g, not an evo3. You guys gotta learn to check these things, that's what the stamps are for!

Oh, well, I feel like a dumbass now

Careful + electric drill really don't mix! How about using a t-handle next time? :D

Yeah, the t-handle is far too slow, and I am just really good with the electric drill...however your words of warning are totally valid, I am absolutely insane for using an electric drill+helicoils

santa
02-27-2010, 09:21 PM
So, Julian rebuilt my Evo3 turbo, and I took some time to clean it up, look how nice it looks! round #2 for that turbo to Julian?

http://mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?p=300657#post300657

Matt D.
02-28-2010, 08:55 PM
I merged your posts because it was a bit ridiculous and cleaned up the thread as well. If you want to redo your post "correctly" then you may upload your pictures to an image site such as Photobucket, imageshack.us, Flickr, etc. and insert [IMG] tags including the URL to the image in the appropriate places.