PDA

View Full Version : Back at it again...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

slowbubblecar
02-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Not sure what I am thinking, but I bought another dsm. The road course stuff has got me interested in possibly joining a club (SCCA or NASA) and I bought a 95 AWD talon to use for my car. I was originally thinking about building a V8 rx7 or 240sx, but determined it would be better to use a car that I have experience messing with instead. The car is 100% stock but has some miles on it. It runs well though.

I will be gutting the car to the bare minimum, installing a cage, changing the suspension, throwing in a 6 bolt and setting up the car for around 300-350whp.

I don't expect the project to move very quickly, but it should be fun when it is completed. The car will probably see HPDEs more than anything but I would eventually like to be SCCA or NASA certified. Since I will be modifying the car, I will be required to drive in a higher class so I don't plan on being competitive unless I get at least a few years in.

I don't have any pics with me (out of town for work) but will post some up when I get back.

sleepydsm
02-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Hahaha, as you guys are selling them all, go buy another one. Do DSMers ever really let go?

LingLing
02-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Not sure what I am thinking, but I bought another dsm. The road course stuff has got me interested in possibly joining a club (SCCA or NASA) and I bought a 95 AWD talon to use for my car. I was originally thinking about building a V8 rx7 or 240sx, but determined it would be better to use a car that I have experience messing with instead. The car is 100% stock but has some miles on it. It runs well though.

I will be gutting the car to the bare minimum, installing a cage, changing the suspension, throwing in a 6 bolt and setting up the car for around 300-350whp.

I don't expect the project to move very quickly, but it should be fun when it is completed. The car will probably see HPDEs more than anything but I would eventually like to be SCCA or NASA certified. Since I will be modifying the car, I will be required to drive in a higher class so I don't plan on being competitive unless I get at least a few years in.

I don't have any pics with me (out of town for work) but will post some up when I get back.

I've always been interested in doing something like SCCA. The 1320 is fun, but....well, it's only a 1320. I've never really seriously looked in to it, but all my friends that do it love...Maybe I'll follow suit!

Do DSMers ever really let go?

We may try, but we can never fully let go.

slowbubblecar
02-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Hahaha, as you guys are selling them all, go buy another one. Do DSMers ever really let go?

Not sure. I am not specifically tied to dsms in any way. Just found the car for a good deal and decided to try this car. The hardest thing for me to figure out is what kind of turbo I want to go with. I want to go bigger than the 16g/HTA 68, but am not sure what would work best. I am considering throwing on a 60 trim I have here to see how it does initially. Otherwise I might go with a GT30R or something similar.

If anyone knows of any good places to buy roll cages or some good wire tuck threads, LMK. I still need to do a bit of research in those areas.

goodhart
02-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Haha back into DSM's....again! Let me know whenever you need a hand on the car if you plan on working on it in Isanti, I'll be out there quite a bit to work on mine the next couple months.

Matt D.
02-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Not sure. I am not specifically tied to dsms in any way. Just found the car for a good deal and decided to try this car. The hardest thing for me to figure out is what kind of turbo I want to go with. I want to go bigger than the 16g/HTA 68, but am not sure what would work best. I am considering throwing on a 60 trim I have here to see how it does initially. Otherwise I might go with a GT30R or something similar.
Considering this is a road race car I'd want something with good response that is properly sized versus something that will ultimately make big top end power. There is an autocross Evo that had an FP Green on it a couple years ago, he dominated his class nationally and the car was plenty responsive and made 400ish on 100 octane.

turbotalon1g
02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
IF u can use E85 I think a 16ghta would be mint.
Good luck with the project

mlomker
02-08-2010, 07:16 PM
This sounds fun!

slowbubblecar
02-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I am not set on making big power, but I am "thinking" that I would be able to keep something around the size of a 60 trim spooled on the track assuming I am in the right gear. I would rather try it out before paying $700 for the HTA 16g or around the same price for a used 30r. I am pretty sure E85 is ok for club racing as some of the road racers on Tuners use it but I am not 100% sure yet.

Goodhart- The car will probably be kept in Isanti for the most part.

Halon
02-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Good luck! John (pushit) i believe is doing cages for a decent price.