PDA

View Full Version : Shake Rattle And Fall Apart

tsi_dwarf
04-14-2004, 04:24 PM
ok so i have this bad vibration comeing from the engine. so bad it causes the bolts on the turbo to come loose. my friend said its probly the balance shaft. so im going to try and take it apart and redo the timeing hopefully that will help but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Enes
04-14-2004, 04:40 PM
honestly, if you are gone that far, i would be taking the engine out and rebuilding it with balance shaft elimination and redoing all of your timing stuff...

if you aren't good with engine work i'd suggest you take it to QPR or Elite, they both are really good at doing that type of work!

-E

CVD
04-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by tsi_dwarf@Apr 14 2004, 03:24 PM
ok so i have this bad vibration comeing from the engine. so bad it causes the bolts on the turbo to come loose. my friend said its probly the balance shaft. so im going to try and take it apart and redo the timeing hopefully that will help but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.
The bolts do that all the time all by themselves, do you also have a bad vibration or are you assuming based on the bolts coming loose?

Raptor
04-14-2004, 09:19 PM
If it is a 1G (You should clarify when looking for tech help), it is pretty easy to do the balance shaft elimination with the motor in the car if you are decently mechanically inclined. 2G's are doable as well, but there are a few more issues that make them a little more of a PITA. If it is vibrating that bad, that probably is the issue. Easy enough to check and don't put it off.

john
04-15-2004, 09:30 AM
I think that b-shaft vibration is overrated. The balance shaft belt had snapped in my car and I didn't notice any difference in vibration than there is now with a belt on. You will want to check it though as it can snap your timing belt. No need to pull the engine though Enes. Everything can be done in the car.

Enes
04-15-2004, 10:07 AM
i know, but since you will need to do the timing belt its almost easier to pull the engine and do it outside of the bay.

-E

A//// Guy
04-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by 92tsiawd84@Apr 15 2004, 09:30 AM
I think that b-shaft vibration is overrated. The balance shaft belt had snapped in my car and I didn't notice any difference in vibration than there is now with a belt on. You will want to check it though as it can snap your timing belt. No need to pull the engine though Enes. Everything can be done in the car.
Except your kinda wrong about the Balance shaft. Maybe his isnt lined up witht he marks and its off a little. That would create enough vibration to feel. When I forgot to turn the Shaft the correct way to line everything up during a Tbelt install I couldnt drive past 3000 RPMS becuase the whole car shook like it was going to vibrate apart. It was really bad. So I had to take it all apart again found that the shaft wasnt lined up the right way... but looked lined up. Theres a trick to it.

tsi_dwarf
04-16-2004, 10:47 PM
thanx guys im going to take it apart this weekend probly i hope nothing is really messed up though. and yeah sorry about not puting in the year and stuff of the car i forgot to put itin there. its a 90 talon tsi awd so hopefully its not to much of a pain. thanx again for the input guys