PDA

View Full Version : Here we go, my VR-4

Pages : [1] 2

s1ngletracker
01-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Rescued her from a likely untimely death today. Plans include resurrecting it back to life, and rallycrossing/autocrossing/DDing. It'll be mostly stock to start. A big incentive to post here is to garner the knowledge and expertise of the VR-4 guys on here, as this is new ground to me.

Always loved these cars, excited for a 4-door dsm.
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9531/sdc10712medium.jpg
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/4454/croppedm.jpg

The previous owner blew it up (ran it out of oil, he says there's a hole in the block, haven't found it yet) and left it sitting by the side of the road, pulled the performance parts off it and basically abandoned it. It was then run into, the hood was bent up and the headlights destroyed. The front bumper is hacked up, interior torn apart and various things missing, including the ID Badge :( He says one of his friends ripped it off the car, I told him I'd give him $20 if he tracked it down.

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/327/sdc10721medium.jpghttp://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5277/sdc10723medium.jpg

Overall the car is actually fairly rust free, other than the hood. It has an HKS carb-legal intake sticker under the hood, I suspect it may have come from CA or somewhere down south? May do a carfax to verify it.

s1ngletracker
01-04-2010, 05:03 AM
That being said, I already have questions
-Does anyone have good introductory reading on VR-4 technical specs, interchangeability with DSMs, difference between 91 and 92, etc?
-Can I put shocks/springs/coilovers designed for a DSM on this car?
-From what I understand, this car has 2 piston front calipers, are they the same as the 1gb talon calipers?
-Does this car still have the 3 bolt non-LSD rear end?
-Can I put charge piping/sidemount designed for a DSM on this car, with minimal hacking?

Thanks to you who replied to my post in appearance/body about the front end parts. Should hopefully have replacements soon.

Chim55117
01-04-2010, 07:10 AM
-Does anyone have good introductory reading on VR-4 technical specs, interchangeability with DSMs, difference between 91 and 92, etc?
-Can I put shocks/springs/coilovers designed for a DSM on this car?
-From what I understand, this car has 2 piston front calipers, are they the same as the 1gb talon calipers?
-Does this car still have the 3 bolt non-LSD rear end?
-Can I put charge piping/sidemount designed for a DSM on this car, with minimal hacking?

Thanks to you who replied to my post in appearance/body about the front end parts. Should hopefully have replacements soon.

Welcome to the VR-4 family! :score010:

Question 1 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant_VR-4

Question 2 - I'm not 100% if DSM shocks are compatible. I would check.

Question 3 - Different calipers and different lug system. DSM = 5, VR-4 = 4

Question 4 - I am not sure if it is a LSD, but the VR-4's came with 3 bolts.

Question 5 - Unsure.

That's about all I know off the top of my head!

I have a 92 front grille and an extra set of front corner lights I could sell you for cheap you'd like to make a drive down here.

Oh and for future reference and as so you don't get flamed for it later, the VR-4's are NOT DSM's. They were manufactured solely by Mitsubishi in Japan and exported across the world, whereas DSM's were build in Normal, United States.

scheides
01-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Nice! Good luck with the project, shouldn't be too bad to get her back on the road (fingers crossed!). Don't bother with a DSM SMIC, just pointless. Looks like there's no intercooler on it at all right now? I'm sure a basic ebay or aftermarket kit would slide in there no problem. Intercoolers are never a bad investment.

s1ngletracker
01-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Welcome to the VR-4 family! :score010:

Question 1 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant_VR-4

Question 2 - I'm not 100% if DSM shocks are compatible. I would check.

Question 3 - Different calipers and different lug system. DSM = 5, VR-4 = 4

Question 4 - I am not sure if it is a LSD, but the VR-4's came with 3 bolts.

Question 5 - Unsure.

That's about all I know off the top of my head!

I have a 92 front grille and an extra set of front corner lights I could sell you for cheap you'd like to make a drive down here.

Oh and for future reference and as so you don't get flamed for it later, the VR-4's are NOT DSM's. They were manufactured solely by Mitsubishi in Japan and exported across the world, whereas DSM's were build in Normal, United States.

Already read the wikipedia page. Looking for something more technical and descriptive. I know the lug pattern is different, which means for sure the rotor would be different, but do you know for sure the caliper body itself is different?

And I know they're not technically DSMs, but these cars are typically associated with the DSM world... nevermind.

Anyone know about the shocks/springs?

awd-drifter
01-04-2010, 07:29 PM
1)Does anyone have good introductory reading on VR-4 technical specs, interchangeability with DSMs, difference between 91 and 92, etc?
2)Can I put shocks/springs/coilovers designed for a DSM on this car?
3)From what I understand, this car has 2 piston front calipers, are they the same as the 1gb talon calipers?
4)Does this car still have the 3 bolt non-LSD rear end?
5)Can I put charge piping/sidemount designed for a DSM on this car, with minimal hacking?

1) I know the 1g steering wheel in bolt on, 1g front seats are not, 1g shifter is direct (its a short shift for us gvr4 owners with the 1g shifter). There is little difference between the 91 and 92......just the fact that the 92 is the faster model ;) lol jk.

2) The DSM rears will bolt up directly but the spring rates are different and will lower the gvr4 quite low. The fronts struts, the top mounting strut bolts are 90 degrees off from the gvr4 BUT you can put Lancer Evolution 8/9 front struts for the GVR4 with gvr4 top hats(thats what I'm currently doing!).

3) i know the rears are different because the brake line from a 1g caliper goes towards the rim and the gvr4 brake line from the caliper goes away from the rim...i will post up pics if needed :)

4) Yes. If you want to put the 4 bolt rear in, you'll have to remove the 4ws, abs, and abs lines while you're at it. I'm planning to that sooner or later..?

5) No, the IC piping routing from the GVR4 are different from the 1g. It can be done but you would have to hack the front a bit because of the way the upper IC from the turbo goes from gvr4's right instead of the 1g's left going towards the small ic.

awd-drifter
01-04-2010, 07:33 PM
The calipers, I know I had to order the 93 1g rear caliper for my galant because of the brake line. Checkout Rockauto.com they've got some pretty in-expensive parts you may need for the galant. Supposively the GVR4 front brake assembly is the same size as a 3000gt...just that it's 4 lug :P

s1ngletracker
01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks for your help. Can I use evo 8/9 front and rear springs? And can you explain what you mean by the bolts being 90 degrees off from a 1g dsm?

The real reason i'm asking about suspension stuff, is that I need the car to be higher. I think the car is currently lowered... not entirely sure what the setup is though. It needs to be at least an inch higher though. And I want to do it on the cheap.

s1ngletracker
02-14-2010, 02:13 PM
ALright, unfortunately this car is going to be sold come spring. Don't have time for another project, and i've been unemployed a bit too long to undertake something right now. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up! PM me if you'd be interested in it. It has a clean title.

Nartanian
02-16-2010, 12:21 AM
:frown: