PDA

View Full Version : Car behavior

123abc
07-16-2009, 08:21 PM
I have a couple questions about the way my car is running. 9 psi, wastegate boost.

Yesterday I did a pull with the Laser and logged it. My timing was way high peaking around 27 degrees advance under WOT, which of course resulted in a few counts of knock. The ecu pulled timing back to around 22 and it was fine.

Now, I set my base timing that night to 5 degrees advance. Did a pull last night and zero knock but still pushing 25-26 degrees timing. Pulled pretty hard for 9 psi with afr's around 11.4. Drove it today and got the same thing. No knock at all though.

Now, does the ECU advance timing until it deems it unsafe through different perimeters? When I was running 19 psi on the same setup, I saw a max of 22 degrees advanced timing with afr's in the high 10's low 11's. If I were to increase boost as is, will the wot timing go back to normal?

Also, the car can barely keep itself idling. If it does, it idles around 500 rpms. I'm attributing that to the below paragraph, but am also looking for opinions.

I did a boost leak test and saw my tb to intake manifold gasket was leaking. Replaced that without rtv and it runs way better than before that but I have yet to boost leak test it. I plan to tomorrow, as well as double check base timing.

4g63tcrazy
07-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Hmm.. that's wierd. My car was doing the same but I set my base timing advanced a little. I just retarded the timing back down with ecmlink though. :)

Shane@DBPerformance
07-17-2009, 12:43 AM
It's running more timing because you are running less boost and in a lower load part of the timing map that has more timing in it.

scheides
07-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Shane's right, and the TB can find amazing ways to just keep leaking. Don't go too crazy with the RTV.

123abc
07-17-2009, 01:29 PM
It's running more timing because you are running less boost and in a lower load part of the timing map that has more timing in it.

Thank you. That's what I was thinking, but I wanted someone else to confirm it. I'm going to boost leak test it tonight, get the shit sealed up and then set the idle and I should be good to go.

Thanks again guys! It sucks being the only DSMer in town.

twack
07-17-2009, 01:54 PM
It sucks being the only DSMer in town.
Jake? Carl? asian with the whale tail hahaha

123abc
07-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Jake? Carl? asian with the whale tail hahaha

Jake never answers and Carl is away on the weekdays.

Here's a log after finally figuring out how to get the timing down:

http://www.dsmstyle.com/photopost/data/517/7-17-09.jpg

Things finally look normal. Got a couple boost leaks to fix that are before the mafs, but that's not too uber important. This is on the wastegate still, goes to like 9 psi but climbs up to 13-14 around 6k.

s1ngletracker
08-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah, everything looks fine from where I'm sitting. Your car doesn't just advance timing till there's problems. It starts at a standard level based on the table parameters, and retards it if there is knock.