PDA

View Full Version : How About A Bike?

Pages : [1] 2

blown_turbo_tsi
03-28-2004, 04:45 PM
i was wondering what y'all thought about crotch rockets and if it's a good idea to look into for driving daily and what not.....

also what bikes are quick and i'm talking about street bikes..... no harley's or cruisers or anything like that.... ;)

Kracka
03-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Sportbikes were my daily-drivers for 3 summers. No problems except when it rained...either don't go or get wet. Have you ridden before?

blown_turbo_tsi
03-28-2004, 05:02 PM
nope never ridden but i can drive just about anything if you give me about 10 mins :bounce: :3gears:

Kracka
03-28-2004, 05:09 PM
You'll probably want to start off with a smaller bike then....maybe a 500cc?

jpretz
03-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Get a 600cc like a Honda CBR600RR or a Suzuki GSXR600

TheBlizzard
03-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Actually riding a bike isn't the hard thing. Being a good rider doesn't depend on your offensive driving skills. You have to watch out for all the dumb shits on the road that don't see you or don't care that you are there. And knowing what to do when shit happens on a bike is a hard thing to learn, things happen really fast on a bike, and things can go bad in a hurry.

I started out on a 1996 Honda CBR 600F2, road that for a year or two and then got a 1999 Suzuki GSXR 750. It doesn't sound like that much of a jump but for anybody that knows bikes can tell you that they are not even close to being in the same category. The Suzuki is twice the bike that the Honda is and way easier to get yourself in trouble on. Granted the Suzuki is just a better bike all together but it is a lot faster and way more powerful than the Honda is.

I think for a first bike for someone that has never riden dirt bikes or motorcycles, a 500cc or even a 600cc is too much for a rider that has no experience. You would be better off getting a older touring bike to learn on then moving up to a Rocket. Just anything to get out there and see how traffic reacts to a bike and just to get the feel of it. They are super fun and I love to ride them, but you have to respect them.

CRAIG

Kracka
03-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Take the motorcyle safety training course (info avaiable at DMV's)...deffinately worth the time and money.

Emcee gsxtc
03-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by TalonTSiDude@Mar 28 2004, 06:04 PM
Take the motorcyle safety training course (info avaiable at DMV's)...deffinately worth the time and money.
Some of the best mone I have spent, especially when compared to all the performance parts I constantly spend on a car that isnt running. Definitely start with a 600, you dont have to worry about cracking the throttle and flyswatting yourself, lower insurance, and you can still do 150+.

rhino
03-28-2004, 08:31 PM
where do you live? how long of a commute do you have? what kind of job do you have? can you drive at 100% alertness at all times? if you live in the twin cities area, i would suggest not having your daily driver be a bike. there's alot more to worry about on bikes- weather, road conditions, cars that don't see you, crashing, fatigue, stop and go traffic, etc. etc. you have to be totally committed to what you're doing on a bike, and after working for 8-10 hours, there's no way i would want to fight through traffic on one.

JET
03-28-2004, 08:51 PM
A great first bike is a Suzuki SV650. Torquey V-twin, lightweigt and very good handling. You can get them without a fairing too so insurance is a lot cheaper and it will be cheaper when you lay it down.

I went to the motorcycle show this weekend. I think I am going to have to get a new bike next year. The GSXR1000 should get a revamp. The R1 is uglier this year and the ZX10R wasn't real good looking either.