PDA

View Full Version : Smoking under Deceleration Please Help!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

95talonracer
09-17-2008, 07:09 PM
I am having the problem of bad blue (for sure oil smelling) smoke only under deceleration after boost. I have a 6 bolt 2g with a fresh motor, head, and turbo. All has under 2500 miles. Just replaced a headgasket and had the head resurfaced. The valve seals were not replaced because the motor guy said that they looked perfectly fine which makes since because they are at max 2500 miles old. I have a brand new ball bearing scm6152 on it as well and that was replaced since I thought the journal center section was leaking which it was because there was oil coming out of my BOV. I got it all back together and I am having the same problem. I have perfect compression and the leakdown turned out to be 5% on 2 cylinders and 15% on the other 2. 30% is acceptable. I have no clue what to do here or where to go next! Please help. Anyone else have this issue before?

mdost03
09-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Are you using any sort of catch can or PCV system still?

4g63tcrazy
09-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Yeah I would think pcv system. After boost that will DEFINATLY make it smoke blue and smell like oil. That's what mine did at the cookout cause one of my hoses was kinked. Also where are you feed your turbo from? Maybe too much oil pressure? Or you could still have oil in your IC piping and whatnot that is making it's way in after boosting.

Shane@DBPerformance
09-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Oil could be coming from the rings, valve seals, turbo, PCV system or could be old oil stuck in the intercooler, i/c piping, or exhaust system.

30% leakdown is not acceptable, maybe for a stock non-performance car that is just driven normally, but not for a performance car. Anything above around 5% is possibly a problem somewhere. I have had cars with bent valves that needed to be replaced give leakdown results of 15-20%.

On the 2 cylinders that were 15% leakdown, where was it leaking to? Valves or rings?

SnoEclipse
09-17-2008, 08:30 PM
If the two cyls that are leaking down more than the other two are right next to each other, it could be a head gasket or something like that. You could pull the exhaust manifold to have a look at the exhaust ports for each cyl.

twack
09-17-2008, 08:37 PM
valve seals?

sleepydsm
09-17-2008, 09:11 PM
First, keep it simple. I'd check your PCV system.

If that is ok, then consider the worst possible scenario of stem seals, or rings.

If your turbo was dumping oil before, maybe there is some trapped in the intercooler or exhaust as others have said before.

95talonracer
09-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Ill ask them which cylinders had the 15%. It is my 3rd HG in 200 miles and I dont want to do it again. The last time I pulled the head and had it resurfaced so that is good and checked the block with no spot being able to accept a 2 tho feeler gauge at all. So it could smoke if the pcv is not hooked up is what you are saying? Ill hook that up first and see what happens. It only does after a little bit after it boosts and it smokes bad when it does.

SnoEclipse
09-17-2008, 10:41 PM
3 head gaskets in 200 miles? That alone says something. Did you put a steel straight edge on the block? Resurfacing the head sometimes isn't enough. If the block is gone....

Anyway, I"m assuming that you know to use goop on a new seal for that motor. The assembly and torque specs are very involved, I think that the manual calls for four separate tightening sequences to set the gasket.

95talonracer
09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
3 head gaskets in 200 miles? That alone says something. Did you put a steel straight edge on the block? Resurfacing the head sometimes isn't enough. If the block is gone....

Anyway, I"m assuming that you know to use goop on a new seal for that motor. The assembly and torque specs are very involved, I think that the manual calls for four separate tightening sequences to set the gasket.
It isnt like that. I put the copper ics titan on and it held and smoked just like it has and is but that stupid copper head gasket had a slight coolant DRIP out the back of the head. I took that off to put on a stock HG because I thought it was the HG that was making it smoke. The stock HG went because stupid me forgot to retorque the head more then twice and well ya thats that. I then went to a mitsu multi layer and had the head resurfaced before I put that one back on. I used a blue point machinist strait edge and checked the block 100 different angles and ways and no angle could I even come close to sliding a .002 gauge under it. It is all torqued down now and I am not doing another HG because this one is good and am thinking its because of the PCV or valve seals. Could valve seals throw off the leak down that much?