PDA

View Full Version : Knife Edging Crankshaft

Pages : [1] 2

awd-drifter
09-16-2008, 10:09 PM
My cousin, brother and I were having a conversation about cars and my cousin popped this modification up. Knife edging crankshafts. I never heard of it until he was explaining it to me. I was researching on the Pros and Cons about doing this modification in the near future to my engine but I didnt find any hard facts on how it performs on 4G63 engines. I'm planning to drive it DD with this modification, so I will be doing more of a "street" knife edge instead of the "race" knife edge some time in the near future. I found a site here about these cranks for our cars (1G,2G,EVO) and now I am planning to do it to my spare engine in the near future. The question I am looking to get answered is how realiable is this modification on a DD car? I know the application varies, but this kind of mod isn't bad for a rebuild.

http://www.ffwdconnection.com/butchercrank.shtml

Kracka
09-16-2008, 10:18 PM
What are the cons to this that you mention? Seems like a pretty good idea.

sleepydsm
09-16-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm guessing it would be a good idea to have the crank balanced after you remove material from it.

xveganxcowboyx
09-16-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm thinking it's more a question of it's it's worth the money. If you got the ca$h I'd say go for it.

Super Bleeder!!
09-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Money better spent elsewhere. Leave the proven, unmodified factory crank alone!

hippiekiller
09-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Lightening the rotating mass is never a bad thing as long as there is no adverse effects. With that said, my crank has been knife edged from FFWD, Darren knows what the hell he is doing. When mine is actually up and running I will let you know what it's like.

Pushit2.0
09-17-2008, 12:48 AM
For a "normal" street/weekend car I would not spend the money on it. I still have a stock crank in my car. If I were to remove material from a crank I would start with a Eagle crank shaft, leave the stock unit a lone.

~John

brando
09-17-2008, 02:22 AM
knife edging works but its not worth it. you could do it but you might as well go out and buy an aftermarket crank. this mod is more for v8 meat heads and race car's

FattyBoomBatty
09-17-2008, 09:08 AM
a few g54b guys have done this and love it. They say it revs faster and has better response.

Goat Blower
09-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I've got one of these I'd sell for a lot less than they're asking if someone's interested. It's a really nice piece, I bought it for a 2.1L project I've been thinking about.