PDA

View Full Version : Blown head gasket= bad head???

Pages : [1] 2

GsXtUrBo98
09-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Well I was thinking about buying a car with a blown head gasket but I was told that with a blown head gasket you would prob have to replace the cylinder head...

When the head gasket fails and the coolent mix's with the oil and flows in that gap I was told that the head would warp because of that... Is that true???

KNAL_DSM350hp
09-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Not necessarily. Im sure you could just replace the headgasket and be fine.

Kevin 1G Drummer
09-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Unless the headgasket blew because of overheating, you wouldn't need to replace the head. You probably could just get away with resurfacing the head and throw a new head gasket in it. However, if you have the funds and time available, it would be a good idea to get the head decked just to make sure it's nice and flat.

brando
09-07-2008, 01:21 AM
every time you take off a head it will warp. ask any machinest and they will tell you this. when you take it off you will need to mill it down. now that isn't hard and its pretty cheap but they will probably find some bent valves also

EclipseGST
09-07-2008, 01:30 AM
every time you take off a head it will warp. ask any machinest and they will tell you this. when you take it off you will need to mill it down. now that isn't hard and its pretty cheap but they will probably find some bent valves also

I dont know who you heard this from or what machinists you've been talking to, but I have replaced many head gaskets on a lot of vehicles with the heads perfectly fine. Especially on DSM's. I always check the surface of both the block and head, but rarely is the head warped.

brando
09-07-2008, 01:45 AM
whenever you take off a head it will twist slightly. it may still be within spec but it will twist. again it all kind of depends on how the gasget blew, if it was overheated or if it were just blown from boost. personally i would send any head i take off to a machinist because you never know if it couls have some weird hole or something in it that you cannot see

GsXtUrBo98
09-07-2008, 09:17 AM
so no matter what you guys are saying take it to a machinist to make sure everyting is sound with the head...

95talonracer
09-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Ya bring it to motors by gosh and he will get it all taken care of.

AwdGSX13
09-07-2008, 11:08 AM
bent valves from a blown headgasket? You would have to let it go to the extreme for that lol...Deck the head and call it a day.

GsXtUrBo98
09-07-2008, 11:50 AM
how much would you say it would cost to deck the head?