PDA

View Full Version : AWD dsm, rear wheel stuck...

Pages : [1] 2

john
09-01-2008, 01:09 AM
I have a 1g AWD which hasn't been driven in a while. It is a manual if that matters. The rear pass wheel is stuck (doesn't want to turn). In my past experiences, all I have to do is force it (by pulling) and it will break loose. This is not the case.

I got the car running today and tried to "crack it loose" but couldn't. The car moved forward and backwards with the wheel turning but still has a lot of resistance. I am assuming it is the brake. Anyone had this problem before? Any ideas before I take it apart?

Thanks,
John

EclipseGST
09-01-2008, 01:25 AM
PB Blaster and hammer...

Spray the E-brake cable and attaching points if it seems that the E-brake is still engaged. Maybe even tap on the hub while trying to spin the wheel. Sounds like the E-brake is just not disengaging.

Matt D.
09-01-2008, 09:03 AM
I agree, sounds like the E-brake is stuck.

Goat Blower
09-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Rear caliper, they go all the time on 1G's.

john
09-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I am hoping I get time to pull it apart this weekend and look it over. Been a while since I drove a DSM.

brando
09-03-2008, 11:23 AM
yea its a calliper. get a 2g/galant big brake kit and you'll be gold

john
09-03-2008, 11:40 PM
yea its a calliper. get a 2g/galant big brake kit and you'll be gold

3 brakes are good enought for stopping right??? J/K ;) Not really looking to upgrade. I just want to tune the car, maybe take it to the track, then sell it.

john
11-24-2008, 09:57 AM
I finally took the wheel apart, removed the ebrake cable, and made the caliper come off. I didn't want to but after enough banging around, I got it off.

I couldn't find my C-clamp last night to test the caliper but is there any easy way for me to check the wheel bearing while the car is in the air?

I am pretty sure it isn't the case, just wondering if I can save some time by checking it before putting it back together, finding out it still won't roll, and taking it apart.

I am pretty sure it was the e-brake cable as the lever didn't have any tension and the brake light was lit on the dash. The caliper fighting me also points to the brake being stuck.

Assuming there is no easy way to check the wheel bearing, my plans are to compress the caliper and see if it will come back out (pressing the brake pedal). If it does, I will compress it and throw the the brake back on and hope it rolls. Any ideas/things I should check while it is apart?

Thanks,
John

MustGoFaster
11-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Just grab the hub and spin it. It will offer some resistance with the rear LSD, but you should be able to spin it with two hands on the hub. Also, try moving it up/down/in/out/front/back. If it moves more than just a little bit, it's probablely bad or going bad.

john
11-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks, I will check that. I figured it wouldn't turn as the other rear wheel was on the ground.

I am pretty much just trying to find out if the wheel bearing is locked up as the wheel wouldn't turn before. I couldn't break it loose while forcing it to turn with the car/motor. It would have to be totally rusted together to be the wheel bearing. Not as likely but possible as it hasn't moved in 2 years.

Thanks