PDA

View Full Version : Coolant explosion

Pages : [1] 2

asshanson
08-22-2008, 12:28 AM
I took the 95 GSX out for a spin tonight after everything seemed to be working great. I just recently installed a different 2g motor because the old one took a crap. No overheating issues or anything, wasn't pushing coolant, but I only boosted to 10psi or so because it has a stock t25, and only got up to about 4k rpms, taking it easy on the first drive.

Anyway I get back and everything seems fine, then I rev the engine up to 6k or so a few times, and a minute later I notice a TON of coolant running out the back of the car. I shut it off and notice a ton of coolant dripping off the transmission, and little pools on the top of the tranny. Probably a total of around 30 ounces lost.

I turn the car back on after the dripping stopped so I could see where it was coming from, but no more drips. Could a blown headgasket push that much coolant in under a minute and then stop? Or any other sort of leak push that much and stop? Also I know it wasn't completely out of coolant because the car still had normal water temps, overflow tank still half full.

Any ideas? On Saturday I'll try duplicating the scenario with someone watching the engine bay.

95talonracer
08-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Bad thermostat gasket/thermostat? All lines tight? Bad T stat cap? Let us know if you get it to do the same thing.

sleepydsm
08-22-2008, 02:51 AM
heather hoses, and the thermostat housing, maybe you blew a frost plug out of the block?

A//// Guy
08-22-2008, 08:16 AM
That is weird, but the only way to find it is to run the car and look for leaks once the car is fully warmed up. Did you make sure all the air was out of the system? How was the temp gauge responding?

Hope its just a hose or something simple, but if coolant was coming out the tailpipe thats a bad sign.

1QUICK4
08-22-2008, 09:07 AM
FIAV hoses? Heater hoses?

scheides
08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Just check all the hoses man! Watch for the leak yourself!

asshanson
08-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Yea I was thinking thermostat housing area, on a 2g it also connects to water pipe with that oring, but now FIAV was mentioned and I'm not sure if I tightened it well. The problem is it only leaks with high rpm, and i just now thought of opening the TB and looking at the same time, guess I don't need a second person now.

Oh, not coming out of tailpipe, running out the back of the car, like on the pavement, car was on a slight uphill.

asshanson
08-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Hell yes, I found the leak after about 10 minutes of looking and letting the car warm up. The hose from the FIAV to the heater line had a crack in it, got it replaced and no more leaks.

Pete and I took it out for a drive afterwards, not too bad but a really stiff suspension that's for sure, glad I took the poly mounts out of it, much more DDable for some kid if I adjust the suspension to be not so stiff.

The only real problem was the vacuum caps on the TB popped off, need to get new ones and zip tie them this time. Also the exhaust is slip fit and we hit something which knocked the exhaust apart, open downpipe is pretty loud and obnoxious, perfect for the rice rocket.

Is there anybody just riding to the cookout tomorrow and can drive this car from Maple Grove Parkway to rogers? It's just 5 ot 6 miles away from the cookout location, and right off 94.

1QUICK4
08-23-2008, 08:08 PM
I figured from what you said it would be the FIAV hoses.

Glad you got it fixed!

polishmafia
08-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Pete and I took it out for a drive afterwards

Annoying BOV in the neighborhood FTW! haha! Glad you got that taken care of. :)