PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start.. Help please!

Sleeper1930
07-12-2008, 05:55 AM
I was driving my galant casually, not ripping on it or anything.. Then all of a sudden my power stearing goes out, then a bunch of warnings light up on the dash... My new water pump belt shredded with only about 2000 miles on it http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I immediately pulled over at a gas station and checked everything out.. I couldn't visually see any problems except for my belt being shredded. WizardAWD helped me install a timing belt kit along with all new belts and a new water pump about 2000 miles ago. The Harmonic Balancer/Crankshaft pulley is fairly new as well with only about 8,000 miles on it. All of the pulleys where there and they looked fine. I pondered on what to do and seeing as how I wasn't all that far away from home I thought I would try to limp the car home where I can check everything out and replace the belt. I shut the hood, get in the car, start it up(started right up), then I start limping it home. I get no further than 1 block away from the gas station and the engine just cuts out. I try pushing the gas down and it wouldn't respond. The car just died while I was going down the road. The whole entire time I was watching the coolant temperature meter and it didn't read any overheating issues.. I sat on the side of the road for about an hour and let the car cool down. I tried starting it and it just cranks over, like it's dead http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif I ended up calling my Dad so he could come tow it home. The oil is black, doesn't look like there's any anti-freeze in it.. Did I **** something up really bad driving it that 1 block? I'm trying to troubleshoot and all I can think of is that it wouldn't have coolant, but it does.. Could someone possibly help me troubleshoot this issue?

Sleeper1930
07-12-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm so screwed:eek:http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=UBB3&Number=668140&page=0&fpart=1

sleepydsm
07-15-2008, 01:11 AM
I cant see the thread, what happened? I see you're looking for a head, so did the timing belt jump or break?

Sleeper1930
07-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah basically my crankshaft sprocket bolt backed out somehow.. I tried starting the car not realizing the belt skipped a couple teeth and ended up bending up some valves.. I'm a little strapped for cash right now and am having a hard time figuring out which route to take to get it fixed...

Pushit2.0
07-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Red loctite and 90-100lb/ft, the learning curve of working on a DSM takes all your money and free time, have fun. You will be a master mechanic in no time.

~John

Goat Blower
07-19-2008, 01:58 PM
I had the exact same thing happen at the shootout some years ago. Took out my valves as well. Had to fix it on a trailer at the hotel.

You can get a used head for pretty cheap and reuse your timing belt if it isn't garbled up. You'll need a new headgasket unless you have a metal one.

Febo
07-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Red loctite and 90-100lb/ft, the learning curve of working on a DSM takes all your money and free time, have fun. You will be a master mechanic in no time.

~John

Amen to that, 5 years of working with mine and I feel like a grizzled old timer.