PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension Ball Joints

rst95eclipse
10-22-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm pressing out my ball joints to get my pieces ready to be powdercoated. I pressed out a majority of the joints at work, however I deliberately didn't do four, because I wasn't sure. The two front suspension pieces are a tie rod and the C shaped member. They seem to be pressed in from the bottom and half of the housing is machined into the member. Can I buy a new bottom piece to press back in or do these ball joints need to stay in the pieces when I get them powdercoated?

AwdGSX13
10-22-2007, 05:44 PM
are you talking about the lower control arms? those lower ball joints are replaceable.

rst95eclipse
10-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes I am. They look like they have a bottom that is pressed in, but the upper half is part of the arm. Am I correct in assuming this?

I don't want to press them out and then find out that I need to find another control arm.

tim
10-26-2007, 06:31 PM
When I worked for an auto shop I could only find the whole control arm, even through aftermarket. I am pretty sure they dont press out.

AwdGSX13
10-27-2007, 02:10 PM
im almost positive that you press them out, and press them back in... my 1g front control arms I replaced the ball joints a few weeks ago. Just be careful their is a retainer clip under the boot and they press down. not positive though.

tim
10-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah, maybe on your 1g. This car is a 2g though. Look at the pics he posted, completely different suspension setup.