PDA

View Full Version : illegaly parked car backed into

Pages : [1] 2

kennydawgg
09-20-2007, 05:48 PM
so I was at work and I stopped my car perpendicular to the others parked in the stalls. I ran inside to talk to my boss and in the mean time a prick in an escalade backed into me. he hit my right front headlight with his rear right bumper. my bumper( a fiberglass body kit one) was destroyed and my headlight was broken. his bumper has a black mark on it.

he says its my fault because I was illegally parked, but I say its his because he hit a stationary object. I found many sites on the net that say its 100% his fault but his insurance company says that they will notify my insurance company and possible a claim will be made against me. As a young driver I have a spotless record and I am in preferred insurance. if i loose that status my insurance goes up 100 dollars a month without any points.

I just wanted to get some input to determine if it is worth taking the risk of a possibility of it going on my record.

any thoughts.

thanks
kenny

Matt D.
09-20-2007, 06:16 PM
I've seen this come up a few times before, you are not at fault, though with Minnesota insurance laws you are at fault for being in the accident to begin with. :)

Hoffer00
09-20-2007, 07:03 PM
You will get a parking ticket, but they are at fault, because of the last chance law. They had the last chance to avoid the accident.

Matt D.
09-20-2007, 08:22 PM
You will get a parking ticket
How? It's private property and not a handicap zone.

Hoffer00
09-20-2007, 08:31 PM
so I was at work and I stopped my car perpendicular to the others parked in the stalls.

Double parked, in a lot or on the street it doesn't matter.

kennydawgg
09-20-2007, 11:14 PM
it was a private parking lot, i dont think I can get a ticket this far after the accident it happened yesterday.

Kracka
09-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Why didn't you just park correctly in the first place?

Goat Blower
09-20-2007, 11:22 PM
You should be fine.

dylan
09-21-2007, 01:20 AM
hmm talk to your insurance agent.

A//// Guy
09-21-2007, 09:07 AM
My car was hit while parked and its all coming out of the other dudes insurance, I dont have to pay a dime for anything, nor does it affect my insurance.

Park normally next time...