PDA

View Full Version : Summer Project done (well its never really done)

Pages : [1] 2

Andrew7dg
08-29-2007, 12:52 AM
The car didn't make it to the cookout as I wanted it to. It was running rough and I didn't want to risk hurting it.

I did want to post pictures of it to show progress. Not all of the photos have been uploaded but I just wanted to show how much work I have been doing on this car.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Andrew7dg/

This isn't a high budget car with lots of money stuck into it but it does run nice now.

I bought it with a couple of problems which is never the way to buy a dsm
It had a bad boost leak and that was an easy fix
What really bugged me was that it was smoking when it was idling and I thought it was the turbo (when I bought it someone had stuck on a 13g...weird) switch turbos to a 14b and still had the same problem. Then being new to the dsm world I put on a 3" exhaust system and was introduced into the world of boost creep.

just wanted a clean running engine that would be somewhat reliable.This year I finally did something about it. I pulled the engine and changed all of the gaskets along with installing

APR studs
eliminated the balance shafts
Installed the FMIC with hard pipes
Installed 16g (ported)
2g o2 housing (ported)
Evo III exhaust manifold (ported)
New valve cover
Custom made hard intake pipe
2600 ACT with Flywheel
GM MAF-T

I didn't install this all at once however. front mount was installed before I took apart the engine just to make sure it would work.

I just got done and I am quite impressed with the results.

I thought removing the balancing shafts would be annoying when driving but I don't notice it as much as I thought

Anyway I will add more when I find more pictures

carltalon
08-29-2007, 06:29 AM
Looks good. A buget built smooth running car. I can remeber the days.

scheides
08-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Looks good man, is that you holding the fuel pump assembly? Don't look so happy! LOL I remember the first time I pulled one out of a 1G, I probably had the same look on my face!

So did you cure the smoking problem? Just curious why you pulled the motor and didn't go through it? Or did changing out all the various gaskets solve it?

Andrew7dg
08-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Thats my dad in the picture holding the fuel pump. I am not sure what he thought about that fuel pump. His first comment was that it is smaller then the stock one but I told him it flowed more. He is more of an Oldsmobile person. In that garage there is a 67 442 olds with a 455.

So when I switch turbos and still got the smoking problem I then figured it was the valve seals. Pulled apart head and changed the seals and it doesn't smoke anymore!!! I still feel like I shouldn't let it sit running in the driveway because it will smoke but it doesn't anymore. This may sound weird but the exhaust doesn't stink as bad as it did also.

I built the valve spring compressor out of a broken socket and a C clamp. Worked really well plus inexpensive.

scheides
08-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Nice work! It will not smell as bad because there's just exhaust coming out, not extra crap creeping past the valve seals.

TkrPerformance
08-29-2007, 10:35 AM
looking good.
I had almost the same setup on my talon for 2 months till I got board with it and went to a pte 6152

JET
08-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah, looking nice! 1g's own.

Andrew7dg
08-29-2007, 03:25 PM
I like that I am getting good responses and I haven't even shown the completed engine.

Photo bucket has been updated!!!

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Andrew7dg/?start=0

One problem that I am having is what to do with the cruise control box. It is in a different place then the 91-94. It doesn't fit around the pipes. I am going to try to rotate the box so that the top cables go over the pipe.

It was a complete accident but the color combination worked out to what I like. It has the primary colors red, yellow, and blue. There is some chrome in there that I thought I wasn't going to like but it worked out. There are also some braided lines in there. Not fake but real braided lines. The valve cover turned out beautiful I think. I used gray primer, masked off the letters and painted the rest red. What I didn't realize was the gray matched the timing belt cover so they blended together. I was going to paint the letters white but I am going to leave it because nothing else is white in the engine bay.

I also liked how the intake pipe worked out. There was some custom welding of 2 3" 45 degree elbows and I put a K&N on the top.

Porting the turbo is one of the best improvements I think I made to the car. No boost creep!!! I hated boost creep. I couldn't go WOT. The flapper only opened like 45 degrees. I couldn't port to the full 90 but I got it to 80 open. I think the 2g O2 housing helped a lot. I ported the outlet to 2.5" to match the exhaust.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas for the cruise control. I kind of want to keep it.

Kevin 1G Drummer
08-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Just ditch the cruise control and get a non cruise throttle cable

TkrPerformance
08-29-2007, 07:43 PM
X2 on the non cruze
you can use one out of a mirage sence you can find them at u pull it fro next to nothing