PDA

View Full Version : Time for new suspention

Pages : [1] 2 3

munchgsx
08-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Well the motor is done and I'm happy with it. Time to make it turn. I'm looking for something that is going to be very street friendly. This car is not going to visit the track very much. The stock suspention is starting to get loose so it's time for new. Wondering what set-ups are working best for street driving? Should I go with coil overs or are they not worth the money? What about the technical stuff like spring rate ect. should I look for? What work for you guys? ]
I'm think I have about $1000 to $1500 to spend on this.

Swifty1638
08-12-2007, 08:22 PM
I personnally love my K'sports. The only issue I have is when you turn the steering wheel, the spring will bind, as there is no plate on the top of the assembly the spring rests against, and therefore, binds when turning. They make a fix for it, but even so, that's money you must spend to get.

-A. Swift

HiImBrian
08-12-2007, 08:23 PM
If you decided to do springs I've got a brand new set of ksports. They are a 2'' drop for a 2g gsx.

imo coilovers are nice but you run the risk of gettings sand or possible rust within the threads and can cause problems. Sometimes this happends sometimes it doesn't. All depends on where and when you drive your car. Coilovers can also be nice if your at the track and you want to adjust your car to launch better, but if your not hitting the track much there's not much reason in coilovers imo.

If your just planning on driving your car on the streets and don't need to worry about adjusting stuff I'd get springs. I baught my ksports for my car obviously, and I'm in need of bank to tune up a few things with the motor and switch my setup around. I'm really planning on getting these same springs when I have the cash later on.

I'd probably pick up a new set of shocks while your at it. I've heard good and bad things about buying shocks used. I did and one of my friggin fell apart when we were putting them on. But new shocks and then get a set of adjustable camber/caster mounts with them as well. You wont be sorry you did!

munchgsx
08-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Been looking at a couple of websites and I see that the KYB AGX's are ajustable, cheap, and popular. I have a 1G GSX and I do not wan't it to ride hard but I do want it the feel sporty. If I go with the KYB ajustable or similar strut what spring should I be looking for keeping in mind I don't want it to ride like a hay wagon? Also what about sway bar or strut tower bars? Also does anybody have experience with Ground Control coil over set-up?

Swifty1638
08-12-2007, 08:49 PM
GC's and AGX's work well together. A few people choose those to run for their race cars, cause it's budget-minded, and the GC's are a smaller diameter overall, allowing them to run slicks on wide wheels, without using spacers or longer studs. I have some spring springs that are a 2.5" drop I had on my 1g previous to the K'sports if you are interested. $100.

-A. Swift

munchgsx
08-12-2007, 09:30 PM
GC's and AGX's work well together. A few people choose those to run for their race cars, cause it's budget-minded, and the GC's are a smaller diameter overall, allowing them to run slicks on wide wheels, without using spacers or longer studs. I have some spring springs that are a 2.5" drop I had on my 1g previous to the K'sports if you are interested. $100.

-A. Swift

2.5" is alot of drop isn't it? I was thinking AGX's with Eibach Pro Kit. Will this ride OK? It seems that the GC's ride really rough.

Nick

gofastman
08-13-2007, 02:25 PM
just keep in mind a stiffer spring or shock does NOT mean better handling, I do like the agx's though.
for dally driving I would stay close to stock for spring rate and controll body roll with sway bars.
just my $.02

Goat Blower
08-13-2007, 02:39 PM
I've got a nice Koni Sport/Eibach Sportline combo that I'm selling, assembled and ready to drop in. The ride is great and the handling even better, I ended up getting some coilovers only so I can run slicks. They're still in the car so I can even give you a test drive of them if you like. $450 and they're yours.

Kracka
08-13-2007, 03:16 PM
^ That is a good combo and the Koni's are better shocks than the AGX's.

I dropped my 1G 3" with GroundControls and AGX's. The AGX's were good shocks and I recommend those, but steer clear of GroundControls in my opinion. Either get lowering springs or real coilovers, but not the cheap adjustable perch springs like the GC's. The ride was rough and bouncy, they made a lot of noise, etc.

Pushit2.0
08-13-2007, 03:24 PM
I would look at Steves set up.

~John