PDA

View Full Version : Apexi Safc (1or2) Vs. Hks Super Afr

sideways motorsports
02-14-2004, 05:55 PM
What is the Diffrence ?? Goods / Bads.

Dan

john
02-14-2004, 06:47 PM
I haven't heard of the hks one. I have a SAFC (1). I like it. I wish I would have bought the SAFC 2 though. You get double the adjustment points and two settings (race, non). Several dsmers run a version of SAFC. I don't know anyone who uses the hks unit.

Shane@DBPerformance
02-14-2004, 06:54 PM
AFC 1 is the easiest and quickest to use. AFC 2 has more RPM points and an annoying joystick. The AFR has a lot of RPM points like the SAFC 2 and some other weird idle functions and learn mode, but it is the most annoying to use fuel controller ever invented. They make is do a little more than an AFC, but give you 3 knobs(You will have to most of the worst with just 2 of them) and a 3 digit led readout(I guess being able to have 4 and display 2000RPMs as 2000 was too fancy) to interface with, while the AFC has a nice screen and menus.

Halon
02-14-2004, 08:32 PM
my buddy runs the hks afr on his EVO. He got it for cheaper then a new safc2 would have been. He brought it somewhere to get it tuned, he doesn't mess with it, so he didn't really care about ease of use. The place he got it from new how to use it. It works just fine on his car.

MATCHBX
02-16-2004, 10:52 PM
I've heard the HKS ones have a built in cpu that actually learns as it goes. Every place I've seen them, they are cheaper than the Apexi counterparts. I guess it's just what you're used to using. Sometimes something may be better but if you don't understand it, you won't get anything out of it. It's all up to what you (or your tuner) are used to.

AJ
02-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Go with what's proven and used. In this case, Dan has it in a Rally car. He will probably run into times where knowing how it works and having the ability to change settings with ease will be helpfull. Come to think of it if you looking to use this in your talon with the setup you had gone over, I would suggest spending $100 and get the original style off ebay. It's cheap and effective. Easy to hook up and only has 5 knobs to adjust. Dan isn't going for peak power on the dyno. He needs something simple, effective, and quick. Rally's a game of speed and planning.

Unless I am completely off and Dan has a diff use for it.

Shane@DBPerformance
02-16-2004, 11:25 PM
I have used the AFR on a lot of cars. If you plan on messing with it much, I would take the AFC over it. It is tedious to use/tune and easy to accidentally mess up settings on the wrong RPM. One thing that the HKS AFR doesn't have that the SAFC has is are low vs high throttle maps. On most cars, we have the high throttle maps leaned out a lot more than the low throttle maps. That was one problem with the old style 5 knobs AFCs. If you wanted it to pull out 25% air signal at WOT/full boost at some rpms, it will also do it at low throttle when you really didn't want that to happen.

AJ
02-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by ecoli@Feb 16 2004, 11:25 PM
That was one problem with the old style 5 knobs AFCs. If you wanted it to pull out 25% air signal at WOT/full boost at some rpms, it will also do it at low throttle when you really didn't want that to happen.
I didn't think about that. That would be a downfall for a car that needs everything at WOT, but also needs to have reliability to perform at a low rpm and not bog.

niterydr
02-17-2004, 11:49 PM
s-afc, 8 adjustment points (i think it is) hi and low throttle settings, very easy to use, very easy to tune with, very easy to 'mess your car up' thinking you are 'tuning' it.
hks afr, 12 adjustment points, no 'hi/low' variences, has an idle mode with 6 points If I recall that can be used to combat the effects of a vented bov, but doesn't work as often.
s-afcii- 12 points, has hi and low throttle settings x2 maps (very nice)..my only beef is navigation is slower than the s-afc, and the screens switch to damm fast!
other options:
greddy emanage: as a base unit, very lame, 5 adjustment points +/- 20% airflow signal, but with the add-ons can become a very competent piggy system 16x16 fuel map, 16x16 ignition map, map sensor compatible to continue controlling fuel after mas overrun, etc..etc..
can't think of who else makes piggy's.
Then there are vpc's, arc's, and the host of standalones out there, aem, haltech, autodyne, grr can't think of there other ones, I think there are over 12 now.