PDA

View Full Version : Trader Joe's

JET
07-20-2007, 12:53 AM
I had heard about this place online before and knew one was coming in to Maple Grove. Well, the store is now open. They are best known for cheap wine and specialty beers (not too many though). The place isn't real big, but they do have some cheap wine and it was supposed to be good.

The first bottle we tried is Dr. Beckerman's Auslese Riesling and it is great! It cost $5.69 and is at least as good as the $12 bottle we normally get of that kind. We have a Spatlese from the same company and a few other wines too. We spent a total of $28 for 5 bottles, with tax!

They also have "3 buck chuck" which costs $2.99 for a bottle and is supposed to be decent everyday wine. The styles are limited though and we didn't try any this round. They must have 40 types of wine under $6/bottle. The sales staff was very knowledgable too. I know Jana likes wine and I thought I would help out any others that do also!

The MG one is right in between Biaggi's (best Italian around if you haven't been there!) and the World Market/Ultimate Electronics. There is also one in St. Louis Park.

AJ
07-20-2007, 02:34 AM
Yeah, it's a nice place to pick up a few of the lower cost but good tasting wines from the west coast. Jana and her side of the family have gone to the one in SLP, but I don't know if she has been to the one in MG yet. World Market right by TJs in Maple Grove has a better selection of wine in the $8-$12 range from what we have gathered but I don't think has gone looking for more since she had a few cases stocked at home at one point.

2003eclipse
07-20-2007, 09:37 AM
HA HA the Steve & Barry's of wine

Jana
07-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Welcome to about 3 months ago. ;) (It's been open for a few months.) They have a decent selection of cheap wines. I like the organic food as well (it's not just a wine shop). My parents & I have been visiting the one in Mesa, AZ for the past 5+ years and used to bring back the 2 buck chuck until they finally opened here.

I actually like the Charles Shaw (2/3 buck chuck as it's known) Cab (red) & their Chard's aren't too bad either. I have quite a few bottles of the Merlot left in my wine fridge yet from about 2 years ago...just not my favorite anymore. Also, you may find it interesting that this vineyard was featured in Wine Enthusiast magazine as the best cheap wine available (world wide).