PDA

View Full Version : EVO 16G, Would recommend?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Alpine TSi
10-21-2003, 09:16 PM
So I need a new turbo. My 14B is only good for pouring blue smoke out my exhaust at full boost.. So I have been looking around and with the money I have I think I have chosen a 16G. I then noticed that a lot of people are selling the EVO III 16G. Particularly they are a real good price from Forced Performance. I think this is the one I want.

I am also thinking about upgrading to a 2G manifold and O2 housing. I also want to find a manifold that is ported to me the 7cm opening. The question I have is FP also offers packages that include an EVO III O2 housing. Now should I just stay with a 2G manifold and housing or are there any fitment issues I need to worry about? Anyone running an EVO III anything(manifold, turbo, O2 housing)?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

A//// Guy
10-21-2003, 09:40 PM
You sure your turbo is the culprit? Maybe your valve seals or rings are gone... causing the smoke.

What year/make is it...

Alpine TSi
10-21-2003, 10:02 PM
She's a 92 TSi AWD

I have thought that too. I had Rick from MN board look at it and he thought it was more the turbo than anything. My compression test was great for having 168K on the motor. And the smokle is only there at high boost and when it sits at idle for more than a few minutes and I hit the gas.

Matt

v8klla
10-21-2003, 10:11 PM
Hey Matt! How's it going, well besides the obvious problems!

As far as the Evo Big 16g I have heard very good things about it on the DSMlink forums...One guy is flowing 40+ lbs/min of airflow, which is good for approximately 400+ horsepower. Spool up should be pretty quick and power is very good. And with the prices as low as they are you can't beat it!

The only thing I would look into is a 50 trim...You can get the entire kit for $999 from extremepsi.com but if that is too much and/or too big for you I would definately go with the Evo.

Just to let you know I am selling my ported 2G O2 housing...Never had any boost creep on my Big16g!!! Let me know is you are interested...

Chris

Alpine TSi
10-21-2003, 10:16 PM
C'mon, I am a manager at Circuit City, I don't make money...! I am pretty sure the EVO 16G is going to be the one I can afford. And I am more than interested in that O2 housing. I get creep on this smoke blowin 14B and that should help... Let me know what you want for it.

Matt

AJ
10-21-2003, 10:32 PM
See the Elite forums right now for their Turbo special for the DSMStyle members!

FORSFED
10-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Hey Matt, good choice on the 16g. When I had that on my car it made a world of difference over my falling apart 14b. Don't bother looking into anything larger like a 50 trim as that would be overkill on your car right now. You'd really want the supporting fuel mods and fmic before going any larger than a 16g. Speaking of which you'll need to keep in mind that you'll have to watch your fuel and boost level. With winter near that bigger turbo plus cold air will mean you might be hitting fuel cut without any upgrades in that area. You may want to check into a 2g MAS and safc to go with those 510cc injectors you have.

As far as comparing the three 16g turbos, I can't tell you much since I've only had experience with a big 16g ported and clipped. One thing I do know is that if you purchase the monster evo o2 housing, the outlet will not reach your downpipe the same as a stocker and you'd need to have the exhaust re-fit to it.

Kracka
10-22-2003, 12:27 AM
It also sounds like it may be your valve-seals, it is almost deffinately not your piston rings. Does your 14b have any shaft-play? The EVOIII exhaust manifold and big 16g are a good choice, but I would go with a 2.5" tubular o2 housing rather than the cast thingys since they flow better (and you won't have any fitment issues as you would with the EVOIII o2 housing).

john
10-22-2003, 07:02 AM
I dont know where you are checking out the pricing but try edited. they are local DSMers. He comes into my work once in a while.

*Only 3 shops get props here at this time. You can PM him with your link if you want, but personally I'd skip the whole 16G and get right to the PTE. - DSMStyle*

Alpine TSi
10-22-2003, 10:54 AM
Does your 14b have any shaft-play?
I haven't had the chance to pull it yet. But I will soon to put on the 2G housing I will be getting. What am I looking for? (Keep in mind I have very little turbo experience)

It also sounds like it may be your valve-seals, it is almost deffinately not your piston rings.
How do I test to see if the seals are bad?

Thanks,
Matt