PDA

View Full Version : Project Talon - Screaming Eagle

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Scrmegl
06-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Well I think I have enough of the basic mods completed to finally start a project thread. I'll do a few posts to bring things up to speed since it has been about 2 years from when I purchased the car.

About 2 years ago I finally found the perfect Talon after almost 2 years of searching. I found a 98' Eagle Talon TSI AWD 2 owner, never smoked in, Mobil 1 it's entire life, and records of all maintenance since it was 1 year old. Fully loaded, 68,000 miles, rust free and in excellent condition. But there was a catch. The car was in Loveland Colorado.

After much persuasion I convinced my Wife to let us get the loan and fly out to pick up the car. We cashed in all of our saved change (pennies, nickels, etc) and we had enough to buy 2 one way tickets out to Colorado. We were going on a limb as if the car was not as promised we could not afford to fly or rent our way back.

When we got there we found the car to be excatly as promised and in amazing condition. One of the first things we did was drive up into the mountains at the Rocky Mountain National Park and up a dirt truck only path. Thank goodness it was all wheel drive as it was too narrow to turn back. Then coming down the mountain roads was a blast! Amazing scenery and wildlife out there.

Attached is how the car looked when I first saw it.

Scrmegl
06-18-2007, 08:55 PM
After much saving a friend in Monticello needed to sell his rims and tires and this became one of my first mods. Motegi 18X8 rims wrapped in Falcon Z's. It helped with some of the wheel gap but more was needed and came later.

Then A K&N FIPK went in, Dejon Tool UIC and 1G BOV, and the BCS mod. That made for a more responsive car and it sure hugged the road better.

I couldn't wait to see the stock rims gone. Those were terrible! Attached is the car after the "new" rims and tires went on with lowered suspension. Photo Credit: Shanna (Wife)

Scrmegl
06-18-2007, 09:01 PM
With things starting to change and weird sputtering when in boost I then changed direction a bit. I installed the A pillar 2 gauge pod and hooked up a 30/30 Cobalt Boost/vac gauge and a blinky O2 sensor gauge.

Then went on to change to plugs, wires, alternator. things were better but not perfect. The NGK BPR7ES seemed to work best and needed to be replaced less. I then also switched to Royal Purple oil.

Later I installed a Hallman Pro Boost controller to stop the Boost Spike problems I was having.

Scrmegl
06-18-2007, 09:10 PM
By now it was Christmas '06 and Santa was good to me. It was time to finally get the Full Timing Belt Job completed. While in I also took advantage of a great sale and had MAP do the work.

They installed Tokico Illumina 5 Way adjustable on all 4 corners paired up with Eibach Pro Kit springs. These took care of the rest of my wheel gap and the adjustable shocks is a blast. Great ride quality is still possible for longer trips.

With the new belts and timing job the car finally was running really good. I couldn't wait for spring to permanently take it out of winter storage for the season.

Once spring came with a fresh oil change and installing a fuel pump re-wire kit from Forced Performance I thought it would be great to get it out to LSE's Dyno day Spring Opener. It would have been better if my FPR was seeing boost reference. I pulled an embarassing 157 Max AWHP.

I also had some road time enough to know I need an alignment and probably a camber kit since the car dropped almost 2".

HiImBrian
06-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Wow sounds like a pretty well maintaned car! Any future plans?

Scrmegl
06-18-2007, 09:16 PM
I had another opportunity to have some more work done to the car so the next thing I couldn't tackle myself was the exhaust. I worked with MAP again to plan for the future and decided to go 3".

Kyle fabbed up a great system putting in a 3" Megan Racing Down Pipe, 3" Magnaflow High Flow Cat, and 3" Custom Cat-Back to a 3" inlet - 4" Outlet Megan Racing Muffler.

I am starting to get used to the exhaust and it has a great Deep tone to it but around town it is a bit on the Ricey side due to volume and drone but definitely worth the pay off. It did throw a CEL for about the next 100 miles then after a ECU reset is now fine.

Scrmegl
06-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Wow sounds like a pretty well maintaned car! Any future plans?
Thanks!
Well I have ordered an AFC NEO and hope to get the fuel under control. I still go to lean anything over 12-14 PSI range. I know I'll need tuning for that.

Down the road I am planning on a Big T-28 from Forced Performance. I have changed my turbo plan a few times but it seems that the Big T-28 will fit my plans to have a very streetable, reliable car that I can still realistically take on trips.

I want very usable power and quick spool. It is more about the fun then the big HP numbers. Someone will always be faster so I want to focus more on getting the most from my set up. Maybe get between 250 and 300 WHP someday.

I know my clutch won't make it to next spring so I thing some sort of SouthBend will be a good option.

scheides
06-18-2007, 09:47 PM
EXCELLENT write-up! Keep us updated as things progress! Sounds like you have done a nice job of keeping it on the road, nice and streetable!

Scrmegl
06-18-2007, 10:44 PM
If anyone has any comments or suggestions on future mods feel free to post up. Has anyone had experience with the Big T-28?

92EvilTalon
06-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Not me but wow nice so far. The FP Big T28 sounds fine. Maybe some 550's to help with the fuel. Unless you done that already. You do not have to go massive with the Injectors yet. But if you are planing to get that T28 get some bigger injectors. Like how the car is clean and looks nice. I love that rear spoiler on the 2g's.