PDA

View Full Version : Boost Creep!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

MATCHBX
10-21-2003, 09:02 PM
I just had it happen to me and I'm wondering what I can do to combat it.

I just installed my 3" catback and 2.5" downpipe. I have a small exhaust leak also that will be fixed shortly.

Here's the scenario:

I took it out after installing it to see if everything would be ok. Well I hit the gas and I boosted to 15psi. Then out of the blue it started rising to 19psi!! It scared the hell out of me. I proceeded to turn my boost down to 10 psi but it still creeps up to about 14-15.

Is there a fix for this or what? I know there were threads before but I don't have the old boards website anymore. Please help.

Thank you
Erik D

1ViciousGSX
10-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Might be time for a better flowing O2 housing (ported EVO III or 2G, stainless steel)

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES (http://www.dsmstyle.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24)
What turbo are you running? Stock internal gate?

A//// Guy
10-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Only fixes are bigger flapper and turbo porting or smaller exhaust...

MATCHBX
10-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Sorry Mike.

Stock turbo with stock O2 housing. I think I will go to a ported housing and see what that does.

Thanks for the info (and the tolerance of a Tech section newbie).

john
10-21-2003, 09:12 PM
I agree with the both of them. Order a 34mm flapper from TRE (as I did) and pay Raptor to install and port your turbo. You will also want to upgrade to a better o2 housing or have yours ported. I always had boost creep in cold weather. I upped to a o2 housing with a dump and it didn't help. Then, I had raptor put in the 34mm flapper and port the turbo. Now it is all gone.

MATCHBX
10-21-2003, 09:16 PM
How much did you get the flapper for?

FORSFED
10-21-2003, 11:05 PM
You may want to check and see first if Elite carries them, otherwise I bought one from Slowboyracing for $28 if I remember correctly. TRE is the other place that sells them as mentioned before for I believe the same price or close to it.

redline
10-22-2003, 12:10 AM
i had nasty creep for awhile. i ended up porting a 2g o2 housing and removing the divider between the wastgate outlet and turbine outlet on the o2 housing. this helped greatly, but didn't fix it. i then ripped off the turbo ported the turbine inlet spent most time on the area going into the wastegate hole ( taking out the sharp bend and making a smoother transition) as well as slightly enlarging the hole itself. doing that along with removing the step in the exh. mani. and port matching it all togethar killed the creep. took some time, but well worth it. this was on a 14b in a 2g with the stock wastgate flapper and 3in dp w/ no cat.

niterydr
10-22-2003, 12:22 AM
as stated above, you need to find a way to promote gas flow through the wastegate hole since you promoted flow through the exhaust wheel (hince causing it to spin harder/faster, which made it overrun the wastegate acutator).
AKA either restrict the exhaust, or port/hog/upgrade other stuff.
good luck.

Raptor
10-22-2003, 01:01 AM
Eric, I am probably Porting CVD's and upgrading his flapper this weekend if you are around, you can probably come see the finished product. I can call you when I am done if you are interested.