PDA

View Full Version : 497ci Camero...

tpunx99GSX
05-15-2007, 10:12 PM
This should be fun.
My buddies dad has a Camero that has been a project for over 2 years. It really should not have taken this long but he has gotten screwed left and right by body shops and shit. Well he finally is getting the body back from paint tomorrow and he got the motor yesterday.
He asked me and my roomate if we would like to drop in the motor for him, install the guages, wire everything up and get her running. We said yes, but well... this should be interesting.
The motor he wants dropped in is a 454 bored out to a 497, dart heads, and a crap load of other shit, on the engine dyno it made 657 hp, i forget the torque.
I was really torn on whether i should accept this job or not. but what the hell, we accepted.
There is still a lot to do as far as he needs to order some parts. The guy is loaded so im not worried about getting the parts on time, next day air for the win.
We start wrenchin this weekend...

and by the way, this all needs to be complete in 2 weeks as the guy is moving to Minnesota, and he wants it done so he can put it on a trailer. So if you see a Ferrari Yellow 71 Camero with a huge dragon painted on the hood, that was me.
Ill post pics when i get them.
Tom

1ViciousGSX
05-15-2007, 10:18 PM
That sounds low on power. That's just barely over 1.3 hp per c.i.

It's easy to get 1.5-1.6hp per c.i., even 10 years ago.

Maybe it's a street engine with mild stuff in it.

Matt D.
05-16-2007, 06:38 AM
What is a Camero?

Goat Blower
05-16-2007, 03:07 PM
That's probably easily tuned on pump. Still pretty stout, enough to run easy 10's in that car with the right tires and suspension.

tpunx99GSX
05-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Here is what i hate about this situation. Im building this for my buddies dad, and he will never race it.

Goat Blower
05-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Means you won't have to fix it.