PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference? Blow off valves

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

driftn1g
04-29-2007, 09:41 PM
whats the difference between something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVERSAL-BLOW-OFF-VALVE-300ZX-SUPRA-MR2-EVO-ST1-A4-GTI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ004QQitem Z140111982908QQrdZ1

or an HKS one for 250$$+

JET
04-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Get a Greddy for an in between price or just keep your 1g, it is fine. You shouldn't vent it to atmosphere anyway, so you won't get the sound, if that is what you are looking for.

driftn1g
04-29-2007, 09:47 PM
i want the sound..

bovs look like there an easy install right?

what do i got to make sure i do when going about an install like this?

Halon
04-29-2007, 09:52 PM
What is your reason for upgrading to a different BOV? What kinda car and what's all done to it?

Shane@DBPerformance
04-29-2007, 09:55 PM
The knockoff eBay ones often leak at even low boost levels.

driftn1g
04-29-2007, 09:56 PM
What is your reason for upgrading to a different BOV? What kinda car and what's all done to it?

Well why not?? i got a 1990 talon TSI.. stock

dumb_ricer
04-29-2007, 10:00 PM
The stock 1g blow off valve is fantastic, and the odds of a blow off valve under 75 dollars being better is pretty much zero. They even sound alright if you vent to the atmosphere.

The reason you shouldn't vent to the atmosphere is because the car will die after you go into boost and blow off. It gets too rich because air that has already been metered (measured) gets expelled to the atmosphere. It happens on *most* DSM's that try to do it.

The AFC Neo has something built in that is supposed to remedy this issue, but I have yet to hear anything good or bad about it.

sleepy2lazy
04-29-2007, 10:18 PM
That Greddy Knockoff Ebay BOV is skeptical.

IMO, you really don't need to change your BOV yet. The first gen dsm' blow off valve does the trick for its purpose already.

The reason why you shouldn't change your BOV is because you can save yourself 1-250 bucks, which is the typical price for a REAL BOV. Unlike the 95-99 dsms, yours come with a real bov, unlike ours which is a plastic pos.

I think that you just wanna change your BOV to get the sound similar to the Greddy Type-S. Pssssss.

With all due respect, I would rather save the money and get me a nice K&N Filter or exhaust system. The Air Filter would make your increase the sound of your BOV, and give you some performance. The Exhaust system will make your car louder, and is another first step towards performance.

But all said n done, If your really into it, find a greddy or just keep the original 1g. They are easy to install. Just do it properly so no boost leaks.

Halon
04-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Well why not?? i got a 1990 talon TSI.. stock

Why do people get all edgy and defensive when you try to just get a little info about the setup so you can actually give good advice?

But you ask why, well because you have a stock 1G, and have absolutely zero need for a new BOV, that's why. Like mentioned above, that thing may actually be a downgrade from your stock one. The ebay replica BOV's seem to be a hit or miss type thing. Some work fine, some leak right out of the box.

tim
04-29-2007, 11:19 PM
You should spend that money on the exhaust that is sitting in my shed, if your car is an AWD, rather than a POS BOV that will hurt your performance.