PDA

View Full Version : New Skyline to feature Electric Assist Turbos?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

scheides
11-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Apparently the new skyline is rumored to feature two of these puppies:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/touch2muchuk/130_0508_turbo_05_z.jpg

Looks um...interesting!

ABV
11-16-2006, 10:43 AM
So is that to help spool up? It seems like a pretty good concept in theory. It also seems like it would at least double the price. I can't even imagine what kind of electrical components and materials they would use for that kind of heat.

Off to google I go!!! :D

ABV
11-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Off to google I go!!! :D

And I'm back.

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2003/session4/2003_deer_shahed.pdf

I'm going to have to read through that when I have a chance. I think the basic idea is to reduce turbolag and integrate the turbo with other electrical components (ecu, egr, fuel injection, etc.).

A//// Guy
11-16-2006, 10:59 AM
That is pretty sweet! Amazing the electronics can withstand the heat.

Pushit2.0
11-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Cool I guess, I am not a fan of instant spool, low end with no top end power. The VNT turbos is where its at, once they make them bigger.

~John

rst95eclipse
11-16-2006, 11:35 AM
That small thing is going to have lag? And I don't see why the computer would need to have another sensor to take account for. If it's getting oil (and coolant) then there shouldn't be a reason to recieve data from it. Unless you want the shaft speed.....

Gopherkid
11-16-2006, 11:45 AM
I might be way off, but is it supposed to be like the new 911 turbo and diesels with the variable veins in it?

MustGoFaster
11-16-2006, 12:11 PM
I might be way off, but is it supposed to be like the new 911 turbo and diesels with the variable veins in it?

The goal is the same, the method is way different. Good "low end" power with good "top end" power is the goal. The variable vain does it by essentially changing the exhaust side AR. This new one here does it by using a turbo that is sized for top end performance and using a built in electric motor to make it boost at low RPM for better power. Or at least that's how I interpret it.

One thing to note, in that document that's linked, it seems the focus is fuel economy. The turbo is small, because it's going on a small motor. Performance in this case seems to be getting the same power form a smaller motor, and increasing fuel economy while doing so. All this new awesome technology that would rock for sports cars, is really being designed mostly with economy cars in mind.

Thor06
11-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Damn. Thats pretty interesting. Is the VNT the variable geometry turbo? Sweet concepts.

Bode
11-16-2006, 02:54 PM
I think that is a good idea.