PDA

View Full Version : So I Ran My F350 Saturday....

Pages : [1] 2 3

Outlaw1
10-16-2006, 01:24 PM
This past weekend was the Diesel Hot Rod Association National Finals in Houston. Me and several buddies headed up to check it out and make a few passes. The first pass right off the interstate was a 13.357 @ 98.95mph with a 1.83 sixty foot. I backed it up with a 13.385 @ 99.25mph and a 1.87 sixty foot. This is with my '00 F350 4x4 crewcab which has 222,000+ miles on the original Powerstroke longblock. This beast weighs somewhere right at, or above 8,000lbs. Most people would be suprised to see it even run in the 15's. When I put the bottle on this thing it's headed straight into the mid-12 second zone, no problem. We have tons of pics and some videos of it on the track and on the dyno. I just thought some of you would get a kick out of it.

Super Bleeder!!
10-16-2006, 01:55 PM
that is bad ass. diesels are bad ass!

when you say "the bottle" do you mean nawztrous or propane. i thought propane was pretty big in the diesel world. i could be mistaken.

sleepydsm
10-16-2006, 02:08 PM
I agree, turbo diesels ARE badass. I want a 7.3L F350

92EvilTalon
10-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Yes that is badass...what are the mods? Or is it pretty much bone stock.... But ya thats one quick truck. There was a Dodge Ram on Pinks ... that won it. He was racing a S10 with Nitro....

turbotalon1g
10-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Thats sweet, i remember seeing a low 12 sec Diesel dodge at the start of the season at RF.

Badass and congrats. Keep it going.

1slowdsm
10-16-2006, 02:41 PM
That's awesome. I'd be amazed if I ran into a diesel truck that wanted to race and ends up beating me. Nice job man.

scheides
10-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Let's see the pics, and how much power did you put down on the dyno?

Outlaw1
10-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Propane isn't popular in the horsepower junky crowd. Diesels work very differently than gasoline powered cars. Propane on my truck would raise the cylinder pressure and EGT's through the roof, probably enough to blow a head gasket or break a rod. A totally dry nitrous system would basically finish the combustion cycle with all the excess fuel I have and LOWER my EGT's substantially. The more air you have the cooler the EGT's are. The EGT's would do the same thing if I had a bigger turbo and ran more boost. I don't want the lag of a larger turbo. Right now I can foot brake 5psi and still launch hard enough to go low 1.8 sixty foots with my Garrett GTP38R ball bearing turbo. Typically I see 37-39psi when it gets into overdrive. That turbo comes with a wastegated 1.0 A/R housing and several others are available. Sitting on the shelf is a non-wastegated 1.15 housing that should pick up 20+RWHP just because of the reduced drive pressure. The extra 20+RWHP will come with a little extra lag, but nothing too bad.

As soon as someone talks about a performance diesel, the first thing that pops into their mind is a Cummins. I have one of those sitting in the garage too. Right now I'm just enjoying the shock value of having a Powerstroke that runs with most street cars. If this thing hauls with 440RWHP, imagine what my 800RWHP Cummins is going to do...:eek:

Enes
10-16-2006, 10:15 PM
The 800RWHP Cummins safely, the only thing you will need to do is injectors and maybe springs... afcourse along with ecu...

Outlaw1
10-17-2006, 08:00 PM
To get 800RWHP out of a Cummins takes a little more than that. You said "ecu" so you're talking about a 24V or common rail, since a 12V doesn't have an ECU. But it's not common to swap valve springs on a 24V. Actually, there really aren't many 24V's out there making much more than 600RWHP. They exist, it just isn't as common as seeing a 12V do it. A 12V typically takes a large set of twins, O-ringed head/block, valve springs, big injectors, reworked P7100 including lazer cut delivery valves and some sort of drug. I have a buddy with a 900RWHP twinned Cummins that runs mid 10's @ over 130mph drug free. He recently went back to a large single and multiple stages of nitrous. He's still trying to get it dialed in. Last weekend he was third in qualifying with a 10.67 @ 126mph taking it easy and not using all the nitrous systems. It's a blast cruising that truck around Houston.

Here's a pic of it. http://www.krylonracing.com/dhra/DSCN0761.JPG

This is Maddog's truck. http://www.krylonracing.com/dhra/DSCN0749.JPG

You've probably seen a video of a Ford with a Cummins that runs mid 10's. Well that's it with me and a few friends standing around it. That truck drives like stock and makes over 1,000RWHP. Richard is also the guy operating the dyno while I make a pull in the video below. He's a super nice guy.

Well, here's the link to the second pass I made. I left the line with a few pounds of boost and still pulled a 1.87 60'. I haven't seen the video yet, so tell me what you think. Dialup owns me! http://www.krylonracing.com/dhra/DSCN0746.MOV

Here's a video of third dyno pull. 440RWHP @ ~3,000RPMS. Can you say Torque? http://www.krylonracing.com/dhra/DSCN0759.MOV

I bet a couple of 150 shots of nitrous will clear up that smoke nicely.

:)