PDA

View Full Version : Newbie opinions

Pages : [1] 2 3

1ViciousGSX
06-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Something I would like input on.

What is the general thought among members concerning proper grammar and punctuation? If we are going to expect a certain level of intellegent dialog here, what would you consider a reasonable learning curve?

Kracka
06-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Type at least at a high school level. That should be pretty easy considering the youngest members on this board would be at least a freshman. We don't need entire posts full of 1337 xxxsPeaKxxx or pointless one-line/work responses that add nothing to a topic.

Jakey
06-30-2006, 09:26 PM
As I'm sure everyone has noticed, this is something I bitch about, a lot. I look at it as if Allan can go from having typing that is so poor that the posts are hardly legible, to stuff that would pass with flying colors on NABR, all these newbies can put in some effort towards post quality. Currently, they seem to be putting negative effort in towards post quality and type here like they would on AIM. Shit like that does not pass in the real world, sorry. So, personally, I'd like to see them cracked down on and if they don't like being cracked down on, boot them. However, this is only geared towards newbies as I know there are a few select senior member who don't have competition-ready post quality but we all have gotten used to that over the years so it's all good.

AJ
06-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Great thread and I'd love to see/read comment from new membors, old members (smack that up as a age wack to some of you guy ;) ), sponsors, and the owners/admins.

tim
06-30-2006, 11:37 PM
I think people should be able to use periods when needed and proper capitalization(sp?). I dont think proper spelling should be cracked down on as long as you can understand what they are implying. I also dont think proper use of commas and semi-colons should be required. If a person can break up a sentence with a comma or period I think that is sufficient.

I do however feel that people shouldnt be warned over and over again for lack of "shift key use" or long drawn out sentences. As annoying as it is to read their posts it is just as annoying to read an administrators post to tell them to change their ways.

I agree with Chris too. The standard one line posts on a thread that is a week old should be regulated. Regardless if they are trying to pad their post count or just make conversation it is annoying.

DSMstyle is pretty much the only board that I frequent that isn't filled with post whores and people that are just bored. It is a group of enthusiasts/friends that share a common interest. Even though many of the senior members dont have a DSM anymore they are still willing to help with the questions that the new guys have and still willing to have a good time doing it.

2.SlowES
07-01-2006, 02:01 AM
I think it's nice to be able to read the posts, but I don't think it’s quite necessary to use all the apostrophes in stuff like I'm and I'll. It's not like it's a big deal to put them in, but I forget stuff like that all the time. I mean, it can still be read without a problem, so I don't understand why it is such a big deal.

Also, personally I found it kind of rude when I typed out my "Member Intro" and was ridiculed for not using perfect grammar. I'd think most people would be nice and say welcome or something along those lines, instead of telling me my grammar sucks.

It's kind of a pain to have to go back and re-read everything over and over again to make sure it's all perfect. I'll admit I'm not the greatest typer, but I don't think it's necessary to enforce it so harshly, everyone makes mistakes. And not everyone’s blessed with perfect typing.

1ViciousGSX
07-01-2006, 07:22 AM
Also, personally I found it kind of rude when I typed out my "Member Intro" and was ridiculed for not using perfect grammar. I'd think most people would be nice and say welcome or something along those lines, instead of telling me my grammar sucks.I said "p.s. Clean ride" :rolleyes:

As a new member you are expected to show some respect for the site's rules and regulations. They are posted on the forums introduction page. (http://www.dsmstyle.com/forums.html) Right above the DSMStyle.com Forums button.

Here's what it says incase you missed it.
Spelling & Grammar
- To keep the posting viewed on a higher level we would like to suggest that posting be done in a way that can be easily read and understood by all. Using correct punctuation, spelling, and grammar, along with the use of the shift key at the correct times is something we expect you to try and abide by.

Nobody here expects perfection, but at least an effort is required. :cool:

-1ViciousGSX

Tauni
07-01-2006, 07:38 AM
It doesn't take rocket science to be able to post a decent post, whether you are talking and saying nothing, or talking and saying something. It's a little sad that people are at least of high school age and still can't spell, let alone type. It gets really fucking annoying when threads are cluttered with mods saying "USE THE SHIFT KEY YOU DUMB ASS" and in my opinion if they can't figure it out after the second or third warning, they can take a day or three vacation.

So I voted B and D.

sleepydsm
07-01-2006, 11:21 AM
I feel that everyone should make an effort to create a legible and logical post. The basic punctuation and grammar everyone should have learned prior to highschool should be there for sure. I don't think it's essential to have apostrophe's or colons/semi-colons. And reguarding typing skill? I've been typing this with, uh, let's see... two fingers? :)

sleepydsm
07-01-2006, 11:24 AM
On a different note, I think allowing the new people to post ONLY in the newb section for 50 posts seems like it'd be kinda shitty for a "more knowledgeble" new member who joins. If it is decided that there is a post limit to a specific forum, we all better do our best to check that forum often, and get everyone's questions answered!