PDA

View Full Version : Batteries

Pages : [1] 2

SlowWhite
01-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Looking for a Smaller sized battery that won't compromise reliability.

What are your suggestions, estimated pricing, and locations to purchase.

My new I/C piping probably won't allow me to use a stock sized battery.

-Brian

Halon
01-14-2004, 05:00 PM
just an idea if you want. You can move the battery down into the engine further if you want. You just gotta get rid of that whole mounting plate/stand thing and move the evap canistor if you still have your emissions hooked up. Then the battery will just drop down further into the engine bay. It's what i did, and opened up a lot of space. Here's a pic of someones car who did it. I really like how he did that so basically im copying what he did with the battery. He also switched to a lawn mower battery because its smaller. Im sill using the stock battery, it fits fine, but im going to switch to a slighty smaller size battery because it barely fits down there. anyway here's a picture i saw that made me want to do it, and it might give you a better idea of what im talking about.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/data/501/1124S_Motor_big_PS-med.jpg

Kracka
01-15-2004, 01:35 AM
I have a little 10.8 lb Hawker that works great in the summer. Get in contact with me and I'll see if I can hook you up (I got mine for $20 shipped).

SlowWhite
01-15-2004, 07:49 AM
Looks like I have some more issues to work out. And think the battery is part of it.

I got the car back together yesterday after installing:
-1G TB
-FIC 850's
-New DSMLINK Chip
-New Taylor 10MM Wires

Idling the car for 20 minutes while I worked on the clutch engagment, Biss, and set up the capture values to what I wanted, I then took the car out for a spin and for the first 10 minutes the Car was hauling ASS. I was able to rev to past 7500 again (finally) with no problems during the shift.

I pulled up to a stop light and the car just Died. (no warning, everything shut off, as if there wasn't a battery in my car or something) And wouldn't start back up again, won't crank, won't do anything.

Get a jump and as soon as jumper cable are hooked up, cars came right to life again. Like nothing had happened. (WTF?)

I head for home, 2 streets away from my house, I pull up to a stop light and as soon as the RPMS drop. Cars dead again. Same as before.

Get a jump. (Starts right up as soon as the cables are attached as if nothing happened, But this time as soon as the cables are removed the cars dies again)

Get the car running by me holding the RPMS at 3K. I turn left onto Nicollet from McAndrews and as soon as I turn my lights on car dies. (at least I'm on a down hill so I'm now coasting, I pop the clutch, car comes to life but is now it's sputtering, on/off, on/off. I'm holding the RPMS at 3K which is keeping it alive. I kept the lights off.

I go to turn right onto 1st Ave. As soon as I hit the brakes and turn on the blinker, car dies. John jumps me again as well as Eric and Terina. Keeping the revs at 3K the cars constantly bucking (on/off, on/off) but I make it into my garage where it dies and I just coast into it.

Eric and I start looking through the car. And I noticed that my Power steering Wire (the one that's connected to the Alternator harness) is completely stripped/melted and is resting on my 02 housing.

So I go to tape it up after Eric left and the damn wire broke in half. It had Green crap (kind of like a battery with acid on it) were the wire was exposed.

I hooked up the charger to the battery and with the charger running the car acts as if nothings wrong. But as soon as I turn the charger off. It's completely dead.

I'm guess's I need:
-new batter (not a big deal since I was looking to get one anyways)
-New Alternator (pretty pissed as I've been through 3 this last year and I haven't had my stereo in for the last 2 due to the blown rear suspension)
-Possibly something else is grounding but where?

All I've changed since this started happening.
-Magnus SMI
-Removed the A/C system.

The first time this happening was 2 days after thanksgiving. My car was driving fine but then after being parked out side in -20 degree weather for 8hrs. I started it up, but then died as soon as I went to back up. (same as before with the jump) The car made it all the way home. But as soon as I shut it off. The car was dead just like above. The car has been Sitting like this up until Yesterday.

Thanks in advance for the help. Again sorry for the long post.

-brian

SlowWhite
01-15-2004, 10:20 AM
For battery Shane mentioned the Group 51 Battery.

So I did a google search and found this
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/OPTSC51DA

it's a yellow top like my other one that I loved. (lasted 4 months with out an alternator. and a total of 2 years)

Should hopefully take care of my space issue. plus it can be mounted in any positions (might have to lay it down if I figure out a mount for it)

-Brian
ps: does anyone know off the top of there head if Napa warranty's there alternators and if so how long?

Kracka
01-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Depends on which alternator you bought...they have between a 90-day and lifetime warranty.

SlowWhite
01-15-2004, 11:23 AM
I know I bought it at Mitsu. And I'm almost possitive the box had Napa on it.

But with out having the reciept do you think they'll exchange it?

I basically need this tonight. As tomarrow I have to take the car someplace.

-brian

JET
01-15-2004, 12:07 PM
I would check the Alternator fuse under the hood. That will do all kinds of screwy things just like you described.

1ViciousGSX
01-15-2004, 12:56 PM
My car always runs funny like that after rebooting the ECU. It takes some time for the ECU to fully adjust idle, fuel trims correctly. After a day or two, my car does fine.

SlowWhite
01-15-2004, 01:11 PM
This is definetely not an ECU issue. Also Eric and I checked the Alternator fuse it's still fine.

I think I deleted this part of the story above:

I had it idleing for 20 minutes before taking it out (had to clean up)

Then it drove Awsome for about 10 minutes. (finally able to rev past 7K again with no issues) Pulled harder then it has in a long long time.

I then went home to call Jenny to tell her I was going to bring her dinner. (excuse to drive and someplace to go) kept the car running.

And then when I got to the first stop light where it died. The battery notice came on my laptop so I turned on the power converter. And since nothing seemed out of place with the car I then turned on the stereo (basically converter and stereo at the same time) And as soon as the stereo came on the car died for the first time.

After I got it jumped. I shut the converter off closed the laptop, and shut the stereo off.

After that the lights flickered for a bit and but the car still ran fine. Till I got to the stop light on the way home. Which it then died completely again (just shut off)

After that was when I had all the On/off, on/off issues.

I basically believe the alternator is shot, as well as the battery so I'll be getting new ones today. (an extra $300 I didn't want to spend, nor do I really have the money to spend)

did I mention that the power steering wire was touching the 02 housing with bare wire. (ie: plastic melted off)