PDA

View Full Version : How to tell the brand and trim of a turbo?

tpunx99GSX
05-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Ok so there has been something that has been bothering me for quite some time now about the turbo that i had bought a while ago.
Its supposedly a Turbonetics 50 trim turbo.
The only place where it says turbonetics on the actual turbo itself is on the back plate of the compressor cover. It has a sticker that says turbonetics and a part number or serial number.
The compressor cover doesnt have the writing like it does on the Turbonetics site like this one http://www.turboneticsinc.com/turbo_t3t4.htm it just is chrome. Also, i think its supposed to be a T3/T4 50 trim as i recall but the pictures inlet doesnt look the same as mine.
Is there anyway to get the actual trim and maker and the size of the compressor and exhaust housing instead of just relying on the person that sold it to me? I can post pictures if you guys need them to tell.
Thanks,
Tom

Kracka
05-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Not chrome, just polished ;)

When doing the polishing most places will grind off any lettering/numbering to make it look more *bling*.

Onefast99gsx
05-10-2006, 07:14 PM
This might sound stupid but if you have the part number and serial number, can't you just call Turbonetics and have them look it up on their system. Just explain to them like you're needing parts for it or something but you don't know what model it is and they can probably look it up in their database based on Serial#.

tpunx99GSX
05-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Here are the pics. Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Tom

tpunx99GSX
05-10-2006, 09:19 PM
OK now im really confused, i took off the o2 housing and i see some markings in the exhaust side of the turbo, its got the PTE logo on it. WTF kind of turbo is this???

slowbubblecar
05-10-2006, 10:23 PM
probably pte then

At-Least-It's-An-Evo
05-10-2006, 10:43 PM
It's a turbonetics center section with a PTE exhaust housing.
To get "trim" , take the cover off and measure inducer/exducer of compressor wheel, then use the formula.

((Inducer/Exducer)^2)x 100

Onefast99gsx
05-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Dam, the compressor housing looks like my PTE housing to a "T" It's even got the 90* nipple on the bottom. I don't have any close up pics of my PTE 50 trim but side by side, they would look identical. What if the turbo you have is entirely a PTE but with a Turbonetics back plate that was replaced for some reason? That's just a guess on my part. I would just pop the compressor housing off like mentioned above and get your calipers out and measure the wheel.