PDA

View Full Version : Balance shaft eliminator on daily driver?

brently
02-21-2006, 08:04 PM
just wondering what everyone thinks about a b-shaft elimintor kit on a daily driver? Ive already got one bad b-shaft bearing.. so i figured now would be the time to do it if I wanted too. The motor I am building is going to be for a daily driver... doing a lot of highway miles. So whats everyone think? Will i get some bad vibrations?

EclipseGST
02-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Its not that bad... It vibrates more if you have poly motor mounts but other than that it isnt anything that you cant deal with.

carltalon
02-21-2006, 09:44 PM
If you have the assembly balanced its not bad at all wile driving. it is a little rough while idleing.

brently
02-21-2006, 09:55 PM
thats for the reply. Ill probably go ahead and install one then.

I have one question tho. Do I need to block off both the oil journals on the front shaft... or just the front. I see the kits come with 2 new bearings for the front shaft. (front, rear), but when I search forums for installs, must guys say they cant get the back one out, since its so deep in the motor, and not to worry about it, but I dont want to have to worry abuot oil pressure after start up

scheides
02-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I have no b-shafts & poly motor mounts on my DD. it's hardly a problem at fast-idle (around 1100 rpm), but at 800 sometimes I think my stearing wheel is gonna rattle off! ;)

Seriously, it's not that bad, and def worth it.

Goat Blower
02-21-2006, 11:07 PM
?

Goat Blower
02-21-2006, 11:08 PM
The front inner bearing is a biscuit to get out and a new one in, but don't skimp on this. You want that passage blocked for maximum oil pressure. Hint, you can actually drill, tap and plug that hole and leave the bearing in, there's an access bolt/stud in the block for each bearing.

Swifty1638
02-22-2006, 01:02 AM
wait a minute..people still run those damn things? Last I checked we drove dsm's, not lexus's. Creature comforts are for old farts..mash it to the floor n enjoy breaking stuff! lemme know when you want that bov back brently.

-A. Swift

Pushit2.0
02-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Drilling and taping is another option on the front shaft, but cleaning the oil passages out after drilling and taping is recomended. I would buy a new front case and gears, then have the front case welded to plug the front BS hole. We also have turned down rear balance shafts to install in the oil pump. Build a motor once, and build it right.

~John