PDA

View Full Version : Remote Starter Install

Pages : [1] 2

john
01-05-2004, 11:57 AM
I installed a remote starter in my mom's taurus the other day. It worked fine when I checked it last night. This morning, she started it with the remote, turned it off with the remote, and it wouldn't start with the key. I went out there a few minutes ago and it wont start with the remote starter either anymore. Seems fine just wont crank at all. Any ideas?

Iceman
01-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Sounds like you F'ed up the ignation wire to me..... Anyway keep your cell phone on JOHN!

LightningGSX
01-05-2004, 02:40 PM
What year taurus? What kind of remote start? The usual problem with Fords are the the HVAC systems draw alot of current, and If the remote start isn't hooked up with consideration to the current draw, you can blow the main ignition fuse.

john
01-05-2004, 04:04 PM
It is a 95 taurus and a bulldog remote starter. It was fine last night. The crank wire on the remote starter is getting power but not cranking at all. The ignition doesn't crank at all either. Where is that fuse located that you are talking about?

Iceman, ATT sucks so I canceled my cell phone service. The contract ended jan 3 and I cancelled it then. I am looking to get another with the same number.

john
01-05-2004, 04:07 PM
I hooked the power wires (2) from the remote starter to seperate power wires off the ignition. I tried taking the easy way out and connectiong them to the same wire but it wouldn't connect good enough to start/crank. The remote start is getting power. The blower motor (I think that is what it is) turns on with the key and the starter. There isn't anyway the starter could be F-ed by installing the remote starter right?

LightningGSX
01-06-2004, 02:12 AM
What color wire(s) did you hook the power to? Did you check the ignition fuses(under the hood)? I can't remember but the 95's might have a crank fuse on the inside(in the normal fuse block) too.It is a pretty common problem with Fords and remote starts, to blow one of the main fuses.If you can't figure it out, send me a PM with your number, I can probably figure it out over the phone or if you are reasonably close to St.Paul Park/Cottage Grove, I can come fix it for you.

john
01-06-2004, 11:00 AM
I hooked the 2 power wires up to 2 of the yellow wires on the ignition harness. I looked at the fuses and they seemed good but the bulb in my continuity tester is shot so I am not sure. It is going to be a larger fuse (45-60A) or so right? Would the starter wire still get power if the fuse is blown? I live in Hopkins, Mn. I am going to try and look at it tonight when I get off work at 8pm. Thanks, John.

LightningGSX
01-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah the fuses are the larger ones, on that year taurus there MAY be a small(10 amp I think) crank fuse inside as well.Also have you checked to see if the actual starter wire(red/blue stripe) is damaged?

Alpine TSi
01-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Even though there are more than one yellow wires at the switch they all combine into one farther down the harness. Everytime I put a remote start in a ford I always grab the yellow wire and the green with purple wire. That second wire should be there it was on most fords. But I do agree with Lightning and am confident there is a small crank fuse in the car, as to where I can't remember. If he can't get to it let me know too, I am pretty close also.

john
01-06-2004, 11:25 PM
I checked all the fuses I could find. I looked at the main fuses in the engine bay and the ones in the fuse box under the dash and cannot find one that is out. I haven't been able to test them but none of them look blown. In the same box as the main fuses, there is a miniature 10 amp fuse but it is not blown. I think the description was ACC something. I cannot remember. Would the crank fuse be somewhere other than the fusebox? There were 2 odd shaped 20 amp fuses in the dash fuse box but I replaced them with a regular 20 amper and it wasn't the problem.