PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

Pages : [1] 2 3

Enes
10-19-2003, 02:11 PM
99 gst manual
Here are few images.. i had my clutch changed 600 miles ago, it was babied until 500 miles.. and the lasat 100 miles it only saw full boost about three times..

Now.. this is engine oil.. i checked and it is lined up with the bottom mark of the oil level ... so the stick still gets wet until the first mark.

But there is a lot that leaked out under the car and a trail coming into the garage and about two miles ago at my gf's driveway is a puddle as well.

I am going to check the compression now and see how that is.
What would you guys say is leaking oil.. i've never had oil leaks on this car...

It seams to be coming from where engine and trany bolt together?

http://www.enesg.com/gallery/albums/eclipse/IMG_2636.sized.jpg

http://www.enesg.com/gallery/albums/eclipse/IMG_2638.sized.jpg

http://www.enesg.com/gallery/albums/eclipse/IMG_2634.sized.jpg

MustGoFaster
10-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Rear main seal. It is possible for dead clutch material to get in there and screw things up. Had this happen the second time we did clutch (ACT disc said self destruct) :uh:

Enes
10-19-2003, 04:07 PM
so you say i have to take the trany off, take flywheel off and replace rear main seal? can that be done without removing the damn crank? i am checking my compression right now.. just started actually.. the cyl#4 is at 159 and staying there for like 3 minutes now without leaking :)

Enes
10-19-2003, 04:11 PM
oh yeah also.. traced back my driving.. and it only leaked in the corners .. which my logic says that it was collecting in something and when inercia pushed it other way thats when it leaked out.. soo.

its most likely collecting in the area where clutch and flywheel get together .. and leaking out the hole on the bottom ..

Shane@DBPerformance
10-19-2003, 06:40 PM
You could take off that inspection sheild and see if it seems like its coming from in there.

Enes
10-19-2003, 10:55 PM
i checked my compression... i did it by myself so i had to run out of the car and to the gauge to see... well.. here it is..

#1 175
#2 160
#3 165
#4 174

whats weird is that the one that should be the worst is actually the beest...

Either way i'm happy with the compression... now just to figure out the damn oil leak..

Oh yeah did i mention it only oil leaks were in corners..

-E

Shane@DBPerformance
10-19-2003, 11:27 PM
#2 is usually the worst that is normal. They put the knock sensor on #2 for a reason.

Raptor
10-19-2003, 11:38 PM
This may be another good application for that handy little boroscope :bounce: If you want to pull the inpection plate, maybe we can get it in there and identify where the leak is for sure. Let me know Enes, I want to use this thing as much as possible where it might save someone some extra work.

Enes
10-19-2003, 11:53 PM
now is the seal replacable without taking the damn crank off?

if it is not.. then i might as well start taking the damn engine out and ordering new internals ?? i just hate to do it while the compression is soo good still :(

Enes
10-19-2003, 11:59 PM
well Mike, i'd love to use it but that means i would have to bring the car down.. and with the oil leak i dont know how far it would make before it would loose all the oil you know.. only if i towed it ..but i have no trailer or anything.. now if you were to stop up here in Blaine if you are ever around here that would be nice..

hmm.. or if you are willing to part with it for a day.. but an item like that would be ver hard to let other people use..

i'd like to get the car up and running again asap because i just ended up driving it super nice for like 500 miles.. no boosting.. oh that was hard... and i only drove it like 20 miles a day since i didn't work a few days.. and no driving over weekend..

So its hard now to let it go in storage for the year before the snow even gets here..

-Enes